fourteen

All of my nerves are on edge
I want to get to know you

All of my nerves are on edgeI want to get to know you

"So?"

"So it's not the safest bet," Vernon wiped the back of his hand across his forehead. "You shouldn't go driving with Taehyung, Y/N, I'm serious. You're going to end up dead in a ditch."

I scoffed. "Now, that's definitely an overstatement."

He raised his eyebrows at me. "You never know with him." He spoke, looking away. "Really. I'm not being overdramatic or anything."

"'Dead in a ditch'?" I raised my won eyebrows, mocking his expression. "You sure about that, Chwe?"

He frowned at me. "You don't know him, Y/N."

"Yeah," I agreed, rolling my eyes. "Or, for that matter, anyone else in this place."

He gave me one last look, a mixture of annoyance and slight shut-up-before-I-make-you one and sighed, looking away. "I have to go."

"I know. You always do."

Vernon looked at me again, face going sour. "Look, I don't mean to, okay? Something always comes up and...this time, it's important."

I pressed my lips together. "I get that." I groaned. "I get that you're a recruiter and a racer, and you have a shit load of work to do, but I haven't had an ounce of any kind of training here, just looking at cars and their mechanism and what kind of people do what. Is that ever going to help me race?"

He stared at my face for a moment, sobering up. I stared back, and then his calm expression fell.

"When racing comes to the streets, it helps to know everyone around you." He said simply. "Or more specifically, who's going to get you killed and who's not."

We were standing in the middle of the plaza, his body facing mine directly, with everyone ignoring us but wanting him with them. For something supposedly that important.

"Fine." I touched his chest with my fingertips, pushing him slightly away from myself. "Go."

His face fell further, an expression of hurt plastering his features. "Stop being petty, Y/N."

"I'm not being petty." I said through clenched teeth. "It's just a little confusing that you went all the way to drag me here to race, and when I agreed, dumped me in the middle of sociopaths."

"They're not sociopaths."

"And then you try to tell me what to do and what not to do and which person to stay with and which to avoid." I seethed. "Please, Vernon. This is irritating, to say the least."

"I'm just—" He frowned deeply. "I'm just trying to...help."

I didn't say anything, staring him down, but he seemed to refuse to move. His golden-brown eyes were flat, mouth set in a thin line.