seventeen

The stage is getting bigger
But the place in my heart is so small

The stage is getting biggerBut the place in my heart is so small

"That's not why you came."

Seulgi let a laugh bubble up, sweet and unassuming, but I could see her hand tighten over Jennie's shoulder. "Now, honey, why would you say that?"

I pressed my lips together and leaned back against the bed, folding my arms over my chest. "No one ever comes all the way to my house just out of concern."

As I spoke, the image of Vernon's raised eyebrows appeared in my mind, but I quickly wiped it away. Hard enough having to manage one guy invading my thoughts all the time.

"Aw, don't be like that," Jennie pouted playfully, moving over to stand next to me, running her hand down my arm affectionately. "We just thought we'd drop by."

"Sure." I grumbled.

Seulgi absentmindedly twirled a strand of her midnight hair around her finger, licking the corner of her lips with the tip of her tongue. I sat down on the bed, resting my hands on either side, and Jennie followed my example.

"I'm kind of surprised my dad let you in," I sighed. "Even in high school, I didn't have as many visitors, and then..." I faltered. I couldn't say.

"It's just that we wondered what the whole biker ordeal was," The ravenette spoke, separating her back from the wall and walking towards us. "Since you had the firsthand encounter with them, and Vernon, of course, but he's been distant lately."

"I wonder why." I rolled my eyes. "It's not like all of you don't already know about the whole thing. In fact, I think you know more, despite it having been me who was there with him."

"Someone's touchy," Jennie tutted, slinging a forearm over my shoulder. "Don't worry, sweetheart, anyone in your position would be pretty torn."

I frowned. "What?"

Seulgi shot her a warning look that was supposed to be furtive, but I caught it as she turned back to me with a slight smirk. "You're quite popular."

"Surprising." My tone was supposed to be sarcastic, but came out genuine. "Every new kid is interesting."

"With all the boys and girls?" She asked, leaning her upper half forwards, her dark hair falling in curtains down either side of her face. "I'd say the interest was more biased."

I didn't say anything, holding her gaze, but then she smirked, raising her hand and tracing my jawline with a single finger. The gesture arose the old memory in my skin, making it tremble as her lips traced a hint of the smile she'd given me before she'd kissed me.

"I don't know what you're talking about." The words were stubborn, and I pulled away.

"Sure you don't." Jennie chuckled, crossing her legs and resting her hand on my thigh. "As you said, every new kid is interesting."