twenty eight

in this gray city,
it ain’t got a chance

“So, how would you like to spend the time?”

I frowned at Baekhyun, who had casually taken off his fake glasses and was looking at me with an expression of mild interest. “Why would you say that?”

“Am I not supposed to?”

Unbelievable. I didn't reply for a moment, pulling my legs closer to myself under the table and withdrawing my hands from the top. “As someone who initiated the whole mentoring/surveillance idea, it's not the most normal move for you to ask me how I want to spend my time with you.

“You're not making my sense,” he said in an offhand manner, an amused smile now balancing on his lips. “Does this mean you're angry at me for saying that you needed to be monitored? It was going to happen anyway.”

I stared at him, thrown off and further pissed by his nonchalant behaviour. Of course, I could say now that I usually acted on illogical impulses, but during conversation, it was easier to control myself. Well, unless the person I was talking to was pretty much the reason I didn't have any personal freedom anymore.

“Can I go home, Baekhyun?” I questioned, making my voice twist into mock politeness. “Or is that too much to ask for?”

His smile didn't fall, but his eyes settled on me seriously despite the tilt to his lips. “As a matter of fact, it is.”

My lips pursed. It was even worse with him playing along and not even pretending to be bothered by my words. Back when we had been sort-of study partners in college, he had still been stoic, but at least he'd shown a little more emotion—from curiosity to helpfulness to shyness. Only that was probably a cover to make it easier for me to talk to him.

I was probably disturbed at the thought of being alone with him after he had revealed himself to be the informant.

“Come on,” he said, tilting his head and raising his eyebrows at me. “Might as well try to have something of a rapport if we're going to be together twenty four seven for a few days.”

I rolled my eyes, not even bothering to hide my utter disgust even under a thin veil. “Well, we had that, remember? Back when you were actually only trying to get information out of me.”

Surprisingly, a look of discomfort flashed across his face. He dropped his hands from his face to the table, picking up the glasses and playing with the arm. “It was necessary if we wanted to know what we were getting into, with recruiting you and all.”