forty seven

time, don’t stay here,
go away for a moment

Vernon led me downstairs, and we hit the floor running

Vernon led me downstairs, and we hit the floor running. The shooting was still going on from both sides, and police intervention didn't look like it was going to happen any time soon.

He still had a death grip around my wrist, keeping me anchored to him though it was hard for me to keep pace with him. The injury to my head had left me disorientated, and immediate medical attention was the last thing I could get.

It seemed that none of the other bikers had received enough clearance to go upstairs, unlike Yeosang, which made me wonder if Jinyoung was still safe. He probably was, though, because if someone was a match for Yeosang, then it was his own equivalent in the racers.

I had subconsciously scrunched up my face against the choking smell of gunpowder and blood, but I could still see some of the racers with their guns drawn out. My pulse picked up its pace as I thought about Lay, wondering if he was present at the scene.

Find him.

I knew I should've ignored Yeosang's words, considering how he had been close to killing me just a few minutes ago. Doubt was beginning to eat at me, despite all the arrows pointing in disfavour of listening to him. Already, the seed was growing into a plant, vines wrapping around my thoughts and telling me to go find Lay.

I closed my eyes to block out the bloody sight, though that wouldn't have been the best move while running. If Yeosang had been the one to seek me out instead of a more dependable killer, then it was still possible that not all the bikers were here. Maybe it was just the expendable ones.

Vernon suddenly switched directions, and I reopened my eyes to stop from running into a wall. His hand was still tightly wound around mine, and the way he angled his body in front of mine made sure that any oncoming bullet would hit him, not me. I felt a flush of gratitude towards him, then guilt, then shame.

How many people had to die because of me? Especially the ones that I cared about?

We entered the quieter side of the building, the lack of lightbulbs paired with the night sky making it almost impossible to see. I could tell we were closer to the exit by the way Vernon relaxed almost visibly, slowing down to allow me to catch my breath before we plunged outside.

It wasn't long before we were at the back door, the same place I had first been introduced to the racing racket in Seoul. If I turned, I knew I would be able to see the couch where I'd kissed Seulgi, and moments later, seen Vernon wink through the crowd.

The backdoor separated the bar from the exit, and the passage was secluded enough that I'd be able to leave with no problem. And if Jimin picked me up, my getaway would be even quicker.

My heart lightened considerably as we neared the door, my fingers now intertwined with Vernon's. He half-turned, eyes holding reassurance, and pushed open the door.