twenty one

stepping backwards?
it’s over

stepping backwards? it’s over

"Why not a car?"

"The streets are too narrow for a car here," Jennie said, her eyes flitting about the place with a sort of wary restlessness. I had the feeling she wasn't paying much attention to what I was saying. "And besides, declaring what area we are a part of wouldn't get us many fans in this place."

I raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything. Worry had kept me up all night, worry and fear, and the exhaustion was beginning to take its toll. Not just the bikers, or the scarily familiar predator tattoo that had painted Taehyung's back, but also the fact that I hadn't been home in two days.

Sliding one last look at her, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and swiped up. No texts.

Damn it. It had been unsettling enough to disappear without my father knowing anything about where I was, and then he hadn't tried to contact me either.

"Be alert." Jennie brushed past me with a casual air, but her tone held warning. I suppressed a sigh, sliding the phone back into place and following her.

The heart of the city. That's what they had told me about where I was going, though all of my questions about the gang that had tried following me were waved away. Though Jennie was right; the road we walked along was too narrow, the streetside buildings lit up with neon signs and smelling of dust and wine.

I couldn't see much heart of the city material in the place, but on a closer look, the whole place throbbed with life. Noise and laughter rolled across the streets, and the heavy bass of  heavy music seemes to vibrate through the very asphalt. All kinds of people lounged at the roadsides—piercings, smoke, the glint of a gun here, the glazed-over eyes of an addict there. The heart of the city? I had the feeling that this was the heart of crime in the city.

I hadn't allowed anyone else to accompany me here, though I guessed that was probably what they wanted, too. It still wasn't clear how much the racers knew about my past involvement with the bikers, but using me as—and crudely—bait had been a dead ringer for the purpose I had been kept in the dark for so long. I was recruited with little knowledge, but had unwittingly become a catalyst for what had already been brewing.

Jennie stopped in front of a dilapidated-looking building, next to an alleyway but looking far from inconspicuous. Rusted railing stuck to the side of the wall facing the alley, probably a fire escape that had not been used a lot. The building itself was pretty tall, at least when compared the ones in its surroundings.

"You've always had the thirst, haven't you, to know what was going on all the time?" She wondered aloud. "Looks like the time has come, finally, for you to get some answers."