The Cup

Harry stood in front of the maze, besides him was Cedric and they both had a bad feeling in their gut.

"Welcome to the last task of the tournament!"

Many applauds and yells were heard from the big crowd.

"My best of luck to the four of you." said Dumbledore

"In you go!"

The four, Harry, Cedric, Fleur, and Krum went into the maze, each taking different sides.

Harry had performed a Patronous charm on a Dementor, but then realized it was a boggart so used the Riddikulus spell instead.

Harry who was still looking heard Krum's voice "Crucio!"

The yells of Cedric were heard, and Harry sprinted down another path, trying to find a way to Cedric's. He tried the Reductor curse, but all it made was a small hole. However, he didn't give up and he forced his leg in, fighting to get to the other side. He made, tearing his robes in the process. To his right he saw Cedric jerking and twitching on the ground, Krum standing over him.

Harry pulled himself out and pointed his wand to Krum's back.

"Stupefy!"

Krum stopped dead in his tracks before falling forward, unconscious.
Cedric stayed on the ground, he had stopped twitching and was now lying there panting with his hands over his face.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked, grabbing Cedric by the arm.

"Yeah." panted Cedric.

"He crept up behind me. . .I turned and he had his wand pointed at me. . ."

"Thought he was all right. . ." Harry said, his eyes fixed on Krum.

"So did I." said Cedric

"Did you hear Fleur scream earlier?" asked Harry.

Cedric nodded "Think Krum got her too?"

"Don't know. . ." Harry answered slowly.

"You'd reckon we leave him here?"

"No." said Harry "Let's have someone come collect him, otherwise he'll be eaten by a skrewt."

"He'd deserved it," Cedric mutter, but he still raised his wand and shot a shower of red sparks into the air, marking the spot where Krum laid.

He and Cedric proceeded up the dark path, Cedric took right, and Harry turned left.

Harry continued but came across a sphinx.

"You are very near your goal. The quickest way is past me."

"So. . .so will you move, please" said Harry, knowing what the real answer would be.

"No," she said "not unless you can answer my riddle. Answer on your first guess– you pass. Answer wrong– I attack. Remain silent– I'll let you walk away from me unscathed."

Harry's stomach did a million flips.
Hermione was the one who was good at these things, not him.

"Okay," he said "what's the riddle?"

"First think of the person who lives in disguise, Who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies.
Next, tell Emmett what's always the last thing to mend,
The middle of middle and end of the end?
And finally give me the sound often heard
During the search for a hard-to-find-word.
Now string them together, and answer me this,
Which creature would you be unwilling to kiss?"

Harry gaped at her.

"Could I have it again. . . just more slowly?" He asked tentatively.

She blinked, smiled, and repeated the poem.

"All the clues add up to a creature I wouldn't want to kiss?"

"Yes." she nodded.

Harry thought and thought but couldn't figure it out.

"The last things to mend. . . Er . . . 'middle of middle' . . . sound often heard during a search for a hard-to-find word, er. . .hang on! — Er's a sound!"

The Sphinx smiled at him.

"Spy. . .er. . . spy-er. . A SPIDER!"

She smiled, got up and moved aside to let him pass.

Harry smiled and broke into a run. He saw a light up ahead, it was the Cup!

He ran towards it but saw a figure running towards it, too. It was Cedric.

Harry knew he wouldn't make it, Cedric was much taller and had longer legs. Then Harry saw something immense.

"Cedric!" bellowed Harry. "On your left!"

Cedric looked in time to hurl himself past the thing but in his haste, he tripped. His wand flew out of his hand as a gigantic spider stepped into the path and began to bear down upon Cedric.

"Stupefy!" Harry yelled. The spell his the spider but did barely any damage.

"Stupefy! Impendimenta!" No use.

Harry did the other only spell he could remember.

"Expelliarmus!" And it worked; the spider dropped.

Cedric was standing a feet away from the Triwizard Cup.

"Take it." Harry told Cedric. "Go on, take it. You're there."

But Cedric didn't move. "You take it, you should win. That's the second time you've saved my neck back there."

"That's not how it works," Harry said "the one who reached the Cup first wins."

"No." Cedric shook his head.

"Stop being so noble," said Harry, already a bit irritated. "Take it so we can get out of here."
After more arguing from the both, Harry got tired of Cedric's stubbornness.

"Both of us," said Harry "we'll take it at the sam time. It's a Hogwarts victory."

"You– you sure?"

Harry nodded.

Cedric stared at Harry, then his face split in a grin.

"You're on," he said "come on."

"On three?" asked Harry

"Yeah. One — two — three!"

Both grasped the handle.

Harry felt a jerk. His feet had left the ground. He couldn't unclench his hand holding the handle of the cup. It was pulling his, Cedric at his side.