Only the Beginning

Harry's and Voldemort's spells fired, hitting one another's.

The spells together caused a bright strong line of power. Harry was struggling, he was gripping his wand trying as much as he could to keep it steady.
Nothing had prepared Harry for this— he felt his feet lift from the ground. He and Voldemort were both being raised into the air, their wands still connected by that thread of shimmering golden light.
The golden thread connecting Harry and Voldemort splintered; though the wands remained connected, a thousand more beans raced over Harry and Voldemort, crisscrossing all around them.

"Do nothing!" Voldemort shrieked to the Death Eaters who were circling around them like jackals. "Do nothing unless I command you!"

And then, an unearthly and beautiful sound filled Harry's ears. It was coming from every thread of the light around Harry and Voldemort. It was a sound Harry recognized even though he's only heard it once in his life: Phoenix song.

'Don't break the connection.'

Harry felt his wand give a shudder angrily, and Voldemort's wand began to emit echoing screams of pain. The Dark Lord's eyes widened with shock— a great, grayish something, that looked as though it were made of solidest, densest smoke.. it was a head, a chest and arms... the torso of Cedric Diggory.

Harry, too, widened his eyes in shock but even so, he kept clutching his wand tightly.

"Hold on, Harry." The ghostly figure of Cedric said.

More screams of pain from the wand and then someone else emerged from its tip. The dense shadow of a second head, quickly followed by arms and torso. An old man. The old man Harry saw once in his dream.

"He was a real wizard, then?" The old man said, his eyes focused on Voldemort. "Killed me, that one did... you fight him, boy."

The shadow of Bertha Jorkins then emerged from the wand.

"Don't let go now!" She cried out. "Don't let him get you, Harry! Don't let go!"

"Harry!" Cedric bellowed. "When the connection is broken, we will linger for only moments... but we will give you time, you just get to the port key to return to Hogwarts... and please take my body back to my parents, do you understand?"

"I will." said Harry, his face screwed up with effort of holding his wand.

"Do it now," Bertha's voice whispered. "Be ready to run, do it now!"

Harry pulled his wand upward, the golden thread broke and the Phoenix song died— but the three figures that erupted from Voldemort's wand were closing upon him, shielding Harry from his gaze.
Harry ran, knocking two stunned Death Eaters aside. He was dodging every spell and gravestone, pelting toward Cedric's body.

"Stun him!" he heard Voldemort scream.

Harry jumped over the cup and dived, stretching out his hand to grab Cedric's arm.

"Stand aside! I will kill him! He's mine!"

Harry's hand closed on Cedric's wrist, but the cup was out of reach.

"Accio!" Harry yelled, pointing his wand at the cup.

It flew into the air and soared toward him. Harry grabbed it by the handle and he felt the sudden jerk. He was able to get away alive... but Cedric wasn't.

~•~•~•~•~

Harry felt himself slam into the ground. His scar burned dully on his forehead. Sounds filled his ears; footsteps, screams...