Chapter Four: Baby's in Black

"And I love him..." John's honeycomb of a voice covering the song I had originally sang sent shivers down my spine. As he went on I got lost in the song, forgetting the lyrics as I daydreamed about being in Paris again with John, young, drunk, and broke. My mind soon lifted me up making me think of being twenty five again, getting high all the time with my love, dragging him out of bed to get to the studio on time. I had to let out a little giggle at the thought. I quickly glanced around me to make sure nobody heard. It was a rather inappropriate time for laughter as the song was meant for me. I closed my eyes, letting the music take me away again.

"Paul? Paul," George Martin's deep throughty voice snapped me out of my daydream only to realize that everyone in the studio was staring at me.

"So, what did you think?" George's inpatient voice interrupted my short moment of embarrassment.

"Oh, yes. Uhh, very lovely John. No need to redo it," John only smiled softly at me as if he knew what I was thinking about as he sang our lovely ballad.

"Must've been really heartfelt and all if he only did it one take," Ringo stated as he leaned over whispering.

George grabbed his horn of a nose and jokingly stated, "Secrets don't make friends."

To which Ringo replied in his scouse accent, "I don't plan on making any."

As John and I paced home we gave each other concerned looks. We loved walking when there wasn't much to be done, but now that it was out that we were a couple we knew a few bigots had it out for us. Just then, we saw a hooded figure in a pair of raggedy jeans walk towards us. His navy jacket didn't lend me any comfort.

I pulled John's arm trying to go the other way, but he just leaned towards be and whispered, "How do we know he's up to something?"

"Hey," the hooded figure said in a young tone, "Would you guys mind giving me an autograph?"

What a relief, he was just scary looking. As we got closer I got to see his big charcoal colored eyes and his shiny, moppy, jet black hair that was lazily left to dangling in front of his eyebrows. As I finished signing John took the Sharpie out of my hand lightly and pressed it against the paper while looking down through his round trademark sunglasses.

When I took a good look at the young man he just mouthed the words sorry, and before I could answer, I felt a a hard pound hit against my right cheek. As my head hit the hard cement I only heard ringing in my ear and the boy's echoing voice shouting to see if I was okay. My eyes felt heavier and heavier as I watched John get beaten to a pulp. I didn't even care about the tough shoes kicking my sides. I just wanted to sleep.

When I woke up in a cold bed I saw George sitting in his seat, hands grasping each other in his thighs as he breathed heavily locking down at his legs.

"G-George," I managed to get out. He jumped up out of his seat only to tell me to be quiet.

"Where's John," after I let out those words I felt my sides and face hurt more than ever before.

"He's alright Paul," George softly whispered in my ear, "He's in the room over with Ringo getting stitches."

"Why does Ringo need stitches," I asked deliriously.

"Paul, John's the one getting stitches, and you'll be getting them too, soon at least." I didn't really care what George was saying. I just wanted John. I wanted John to hold me and tell my that everything was going to be okay, just like he did with Brian. If Brian were here today he'd know what to do. He always did.

"You alright? Need anything?" George pushed. I wanted to tell him that my sides were killing me, but I didn't want to see any nurses or doctors at that moment. I knew that if I had said that George would've had the place just swarming with them.

I finally came to the consensus to say, "John. I want John. I need him."

"Oh, Paul, you'll get him soon." A strange void filled the room. Seconds turned into awkward minutes, that was until George mentioned, "Sean's a little shaken. He said he's gonna come and visit tomorrow. Yoko is too."

"Oh, that's nice," I wasn't aware of what I had been saying, all I had known was that I'd get to see John soon. He's the only thing that would cure my aching body.