Chapter 19: Act Naturally

Ringo's POV

Brian spoke some gibberish as I played with him, holding a rattle in one of my hands, a bottle in the other. John and Paul were out dealing with legal business.

Paul. Now I knew it was over. Ever since I saw him look at John in Hamburg, I knew I never had a chance from the start. I became hopeful when he married Linda. Every guy in the 70s was into an affair every once in a while. But, not Paul. He loved Linda. Then they had kids. I stayed hopeful. Always scooting as close to him as possible. He'd call me adorable, but I think he was joking. He was the cute Beatle after all. When him and John got back together I lost a big chunk of hope. Then, Brian came along. It was over. I couldn't hate a seven month old baby. He was adorable. My heart swelled when I heard his young giggle.

I heard the door open slowly, "Ritchie, we're back!" Brian went crazy when he heard his father's voice. His mouth bubbled with saliva. He bounced with excitement.

"Be careful or you'll spit up," I laughed.

I felt Paul's presence over me, "Hello there. Home so soon?"

"Yeah well," John sighed as he slung his coat over a chair, "it was pretty easy to get our songs back from Michael. Jackson's got so odd that the court voted in favor of the classy Beatles," John said rather angry.

"Isn't that good," I was rather confused.

Paul giggled in confusion, "I don't know what's up with him, Rings. How was Brian," his mood suddenly changed.

"Good," I looked Paul straight in his hazel doe eyes which have been preserved for years.

"Ringo," John stated rather sternly as he stared me down, "you can go home now," he handed me my jacket and wouldn't let go for a second. I saw Paul give John angry looks.

"Oh, okay..." I grabbed my jacket and headed out the door.

"Wait," it was Paul's voice, "would Barbara mind if you stayed for dinner," now John was making the angry faces. What was up with him?

"She wouldn't mind," Paul smiled, "But, I can't stay. You two enjoy dinner," I heard Paul try to shout something before I shut the door behind me.

I hummed a tube as I walked to my car, imagining the lyrics in my head, "all I gotta do is act naturally..."