16

"There you are," a low voice purrs in Jaemin's ear just as he goes to shoot the small basketball. He jumps at the sound, and the ball hits the rim. It comes flying back in his direction but just barely hits the protective plexiglass and falls into the pit below.

Jaemin grunts irritably before snatching up a new ball and taking another shot, this time actually making it into the hoop.

"Nice shot," the voice praises him, causing Jaemin to tense up. He loved the praise. What he didn't love was the boy who's mouth it came from.

He proceeds to ignore him and continue shooting the basketballs into the hoop, trying hard to get the highest score he could. He wanted as many tickets as he could rack up.

Suddenly, the timer runs out and an obnoxious horn-like sound comes out of the game's speakers. Jaemin crouches down and collects the line of tickets. He folds them up one by one as he walks off, shoving them into his pants pocket once he's finished.

"Ignoring me, huh?" the boy dressed in all black remarks as he hops in Jaemin's way. Jaemin shoots him an unimpressed glare.

"I'll keep ignoring you until you tell me the truth," Jaemin responds as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"I wasn't there," Jeno answers with an exasperated sigh.

"Then I suppose you have an identical twin you never told me about," Jaemin states sarcastically.

"Jaemin, it was late and dark and you were on your own. I'm sure your mind was playing tricks on you," Jeno insists.

"Get back to me when you're ready to stop lying," Jaemin grunts before attempting to side-step Jeno.

"Please, just let it go," Jeno groans as he steps in front of Jaemin once again to prevent him from walking off, "Just play a couple games with me and have fun."

Jaemin purses his lips. Although part of him wants to cave, he knows he has to stand his ground to get the answers he wanted. But would Jeno ever tell him anything he didn't want him to know? The more Jaemin ponders this, the more he realizes the answer is very clearly no, and there's absolutely no way to force it out of him or prove him wrong.

Still, he knew what he saw. And even if Jeno wouldn't admit it, he knew the truth. Perhaps playing nice with him would convince Jeno to tell him. Eventually, anyway.

"Hey, guys, it's getting late and my mum just called me to tell me I need to start heading home for dinner," Renjun announces as he trots up to the two.

"Oh, really? Is it really that late?" Jaemin asks.

"Yeah, I didn't realize it either," Renjun responds as he extends his drawstring bag-which is still a fourth of the way full-towards Jaemin, "Here, take this. Just give it back to me on Monday, okay?"

"You got it, chief," Jaemin agrees.

"Alright, see you guys," Renjun says with a wave before jetting off towards the exit.

Jaemin drops his gaze to his feet, letting out a deep sigh before looking back up at Jeno.

"My aunt said I have to be home before seven," Jaemin announces. He watches as Jeno's eyes form small crescents.

"So does that mean..."

"You have one hour," Jaemin confirms.