57

⊱ ─── { Jaemin } ─── ⊰

Jaemin withdrawal his hand abruptly from Jeno's. He stares unblinkingly at him for a minute before mindlessly murmuring, "I'm sorry, your hands were just really...cold."

He then slowly places his hand back in Jeno's and continues to peer deeply into his eyes.

Why not?

Jeno glances down, and Jaemin's eyes follow. A sparkling diamond necklace hangs from his neck, displaying a very stark contrast to the black t-shirt and motorcycle jacket he currently wears. Aside from that, the diamond in the centre was glowing. It's not an extremely noticeable glow, but more like an intense shine like it was the cleanest, most pristine diamond to ever exist. It's just abnormal enough to understand something was special about it.

But Jaemin still doesn't understand.

They aren't human.

Jaemin's eyes flit to the two boys sitting across from him, then back to Jeno.

If they aren't human, then what are they?

Before Jeno can respond, they are quite rudely interrupted.

"Are you two done nonverbally flirting, yet?" Donghyuck grunts bitterly.

"What-I-we're not-"

"And what are you gonna do if we don't?" Jeno challenges the small boy with a smirk.

"B-but we weren't even-"

"How about you go bother someone else," Donghyuck hisses, "Or, better yet, go home."

"I-"

"What? Do you have a problem with it?" Jeno chuckles lightly.

"Jeno-"

"I do, actually," Donghyuck replies.

"What about this?" Jeno asks as he lifts Jaemin's hand up to his face and presses a delicate kiss to his knuckles.

"Knock it off," Mark speaks up.

"J-Jeno," Jaemin stammers at a more audible volume, finally gaining the boy's attention. Their eyes meet, and Jaemin shakes his head slightly.

He was trying to purposely piss the two boys off at the expense of Jaemin's vague discomfort. Granted, he wanted Jeno to be affectionate towards him, but not like this. Not in front of his judgmental friends. He didn't know what Jeno had to gain from ticking them off, but he was up to something. That was blatantly obvious. But he wanted no part of it. Especially not until he knew what was going on.

I'm sorry. I'll explain later.

At that, Jeno withdraws his hand and sits up straight.

"Are you guys ready to go?" Jaemin murmurs.

"I think Mark and I will go hang out at my place. We'll see you guys later," Donghyuck announces as all five boys start to shift around and get out of their seats.

"Are you sure? What about-"

"We'll have to take a rain check. I'm not sure Mark's father would quite like him stopping by," Donghyuck responds with a nod towards Jeno, causing Jaemin to frown deeply.

"Oh...I...I guess we'll see you later, then," Jaemin says with deep disappointment in his tone.

The boys bid their goodbyes while Jeno stands quietly on the sidelines watching. As soon as Mark and Donghyuck make their way to the exit, Jaemin shoves Jeno forcefully.

"You better start explaining, or I swear to-"

"Jaemin, they knew who I was before anything was said. They weren't the least bit surprised when I took off my mask, and they had absolutely no fear seeing me," Jeno points out in a whisper so that only Jaemin could hear him, "And don't you find it the least bit odd they came into your life at such a low point?"

"It's gotta be a coinci-"

"Nothing is a coincidence, Jaemin," Jeno cuts him off, "I've got to go. I need to look further into this."

"Really? You're going to run off, just like that?" Jaemin asks bitterly as he crosses his arms. Jeno pauses and looks Jaemin in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispers before embracing Jaemin in a hug, "Stop by tonight after Renjun's fallen asleep."

Jeno pulls back, but he holds onto Jaemin's hands and looks at him with solemn eyes.

I'll see you at midnight.

"Goodbye," he murmurs.

Without so much as waiting for a response, Jeno lets go of him and disappears out the front door of the ice cream parlor.

"What the fuck was that all about?" Renjun blurts out.

"I...I have no fucking clue."