56

⊱ ───── { Jeno } ───── ⊰

"Jaemin, you fucking invited him?" Renjun loudly whispers into his ear.

"He didn't," Jeno speaks casually, "I just wanted to stop by and say hello to him."

"Brave of you to assume it was okay to stop by uninvited," Donghyuck hisses.

"Brave of you to assume I give a shit," Jeno retorts.

"Well if stopping by to say hi to Jaemin was all you intended to do, then you can kindly show yourself out now," Donghyuck grumbles.

"A tempting offer, but no. I think I'll stay," Jeno hums with a slight cock of his head.

"Can we not bicker right now?" Jaemin pleads.

The boys all fall silent, though Donghyuck continues to glare at Jeno while Jeno stares him back. Jeno narrows his eyes curiously at him before deciding to speak again.

"So how did you guys become friends with Jaemin?" Jeno inquires, "It seems like you just kinda...appeared...out of nowhere."

"Maybe you'd have known about us if you weren't absent from his life for weeks," Donghyuck states bitterly.

"How long have you been friends, then?" Jeno follows up, ignoring the blatant stab at him.

"A few weeks now," Mark responds before Donghyuck can.

"Jaemin?" Jeno prompts him.

"The day after you left..." Jaemin answers, "Why?"

"No reason," he hums, "It's just extremely convenient." There's a moment as Jeno stares intensely at the two boys to his right. "At least someone was...watching over him...right?"

"Why are you talking like that?" Renjun questions with a confused expression.

"Uh...so, Jeno...do you want anything?" Jaemin asks, desperately trying to change the subject.

"Actually, no. I'm not extremely hungry," Jeno hums, "But would it be okay if I tried some of yours? It looks delicious."

"Uh...yeah, sure, let me just go get another spoon," Jaemin says as he awkwardly slides out of the booth and walks over to the counter.

Jeno leans forward, towards Mark. Although his smile can't be seen, his eyes form pleasant, innocent crescents at him. Mark raises a questioning eyebrow at him, but doesn't say a word.

"You know, I really am glad you two came into Jaemin's life at a time when neither I nor Renjun were around. I thank you for being his support system in his...time of need," Jeno chimes.

Both boys exchange suspicious glances between one another before turning back to Jeno and nodding.

"Sorry, they only have these ugly neon green spoons," Jaemin announces with a frown as he slides back into the booth beside Renjun.

"That's perfectly okay," Jeno assures him as Jaemin stabs the spoon into the ice cream on the side which he hasn't touched yet and slides it closer to Jeno.

Jeno pulls down his mask, letting it rest under his chin as he glances towards Mark and Donghyuck with a slight smirk. He then turns his attention back towards Jaemin and smiles warmly at him.

"Thank you," he hums before taking the spoon and scooping up a bite.

"It's no problem," Jaemin responds with a light, nervous chuckle.

Jeno takes a bite and hums happily at the sweet cookie dough taste.

"I forgot how amazing soft-serve is. I haven't had it since I was a little kid," he says.

"Well, they do make the best ice cream in town, here," Jaemin responds as he mindlessly twirls his pink spoon around in the soft-serve on his side.

"Hey, Jaemin, are we going home after this, or were we gonna go anywhere else?" Renjun asks suddenly as he looks up at him from his phone.

Jaemin drops his hand from the spoon and lets it rest on the table as he leans towards Renjun to look at his phone. They begin mumbling to each other for a minute, seemingly lost in their own discussion.

Jeno grins, knowing Mark and Donghyuck are watching him. He looks down at the small cup of ice cream, scooping out another bite while he casually places his hand on top of Jaemin's. Jaemin immediately snaps his head towards Jeno with wide eyes filled with shock. Jeno peers up at him through his lashes. He bats them once, still maintaining eye contact before finally trying it.

Don't trust Mark and Donghyuck.