66

Jeno approaches the cherry blossom tree in the middle of a park. A man leans against the tree whilst using the top of a knife to clean under their fingernails. Jeno accidentally steps on a twig, causing it to snap and the man to look in his direction and smile.

"Look who decided to show up. I almost thought you wouldn't come," the man chuckles, "I'm glad you figured out the exact place I intended you to show up at. I'm sure you remember very well the time you dismembered your classmate under this tree. Poor Mina didn't have a chance against eight year old Jeno. What a memorable first kill, huh?"

"Who are you and what do you want?" Jeno hisses.

"I believe the name was Baekhyun, but...let's be real here, you know exactly who I am," he responds with a wicked smirk.

"What the fuck do you want from me, Xiaojun," Jeno hisses, "Where's Jaemin?"

"Both very good questions," Xiao hums, "How about we answer the latter first, hm?" Xiao hops up and grabs ahold of a branch from the tree, it bends down right along with him as his feet touch the ground again.

"These branches are way too flimsy to get a job done, don't you think? But...that tree over there..." Xiao remarks as he waves his hand towards a nearby oak tree, "that is sure to do the trick."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Jeno spats.

"How about you take a closer look," Xiao suggests as he whips a large flashlight out from his front pants pocket and tosses it to Jeno.

Jeno catches it and clicks the light on. He shines it towards the tree into the branches and spots Jaemin. His ankles and wrists are bound by rope while duct tape covers his mouth. He leans against the trunk of the tree, very clearly unconscious. But that isn't even the most startling part of it. Rope is wrapped around his neck, leading to the thick branch where it's secured.

One wrong move, and he would be dead.

"Funny. I was looking for leverage against you, and he just appeared on your doorstep, sobbing. He was asking for you," Xiaojun informs Jeno, "The whole town knows he's been hangin around you, and he's become public enemy number two. I'm sure no one would bat an eye if something...bad were I happen to him."

"You sick fuck!" Jeno hisses.

"Thank you. I try my best," Xiaojun hums, "How about we make this fun and wake him up?"

Xiao snaps his fingers and Jaemin begins to shift. As he becomes more aware of his situation, he begins to scream.

"Jaemin! Don't move!" Jeno screeches, trying to prevent the boy from wriggling too much and accidentally falling off the branch. He then turns to Xiaojun and grabs him by the fabric of his sweater. "What the fuck do you want? My father said he'd keep you away from Jaemin! Why are you here?"

"Your father knows about the little trip you made to Heaven. He's very disappointed in the fact you were surrounded by angels, and he's yet to receive even one soul. You have twenty four hours to give him what he wants, or the boy's gonna turn up dead like Mina," Xiaojun growls as he points the knife to Jeno's chest, "Clock's ticking."

At that, Xiaojun snaps his fingers and disappears in a cloud of smoke.

"Jaemin, hold on!" Jeno shouts as the younger continues to scream and cry. Jeno bolts it towards the oak tree and stands just under where Jaemin sits. He begins to panic as he races to figure out how to free the boy. The branch is too high up to jump at, and there's no proper niches to be able to climb the tree trunk.

Suddenly, he gets an idea. It's risky, but it's better than nothing.

"Jaemin, listen carefully: I know this is going to sound crazy, but I need you to jump," Jeno calls out to him, earning a wild scream in return, "Please, just trust me."

Jeno prepares himself as the boy wiggles forward. Suddenly, he drops down from the branch. Jeno points his index finger out and switches it quickly before extending his arms out.

Jaemin falls directly into Jeno's arms, surprisingly not knocking the both of them to the ground. Jeno exhales deeply before setting Jaemin down on the damp grass. He points the the rope that binds his wrists together and swishes his finger once again. The ropes fall from his hands, freeing him. Jaemin works on tearing the duct tape off his mouth while Jeno cuts the rope around Jaemin's ankles.

Jaemin yanks the rope off over his head and immediately sits up. He practically pounces at Jeno, embracing him in a tight hug as he sobs violently into his shoulder.

Though taken aback at first, Jeno pulls him as close as possible.

"It's okay. You're safe now," he murmurs softly as he rubs circles into Jaemin's back, "You're safe."