67

"Just rest for now. I'll be back in a few to check up on you and get some sleep too, but until then, relax and try to rest," Jeno instructs Jaemin as he helps pull the covers over him. Jaemin nods, and Jeno promptly strides out of his room. He shuts the door behind him just as Jisung reaches the top of the stairs.

"Is he okay?" he asks.

"He's shaken up pretty bad. He hasn't spoken this whole time," Jeno exhales stressfully, "What are we gonna do, Jisung? It's one bad thing after another, and now I have to worry about sacrificing an angel in less than twenty four hours or Xiaojun's gonna murder Jaemin."

"What? Seriously?" Jisung gasps, earning a nod from Jeno.

"I can't just murder Mark, and as much as Donghyuck gets on my fuckin nerves, Mark loves him. I can't just kill him, either," Jeno rambles out.

"Well, we have to figure something out," Jisung states, and Jeno rubs his hands stressfully over his face.

"What do you suggest? Go around all night swinging the necklace at every person we walk past in hopes one of them will make the crystal glow?" Jeno says with an air of sarcasm.

"I don't know, but our options are well past limited," Jisung points out.

"Just say we're fucking screwed," Jeno grunts.

"What if we asked Mark if there are any angels they know that are roaming around?" Jisung suggests.

"That's aiding and abetting the murder of his own kind. Taeyong would surely kick him out of Heaven to be stuck wandering in purgatory for the rest of eternity," Jeno states with a shake of his head.

"Then is there not something we could do to protect Jaemin?" Jisung asks.

"I don't know anymore," Jeno whimpers, "Fuck! I can't let him die like this, Jisung!"

"You won't have to," a new voice speaks out.

Both boys turn to face the stairs and find Mark standing with his hands shoved deep into his front pockets.

"What?" Jeno asks with extreme confusion.

"Taeyong sent me and Donghyuck here to take care of Jaemin and protect him as much as possible. Donghyuck saved him once from a demon that tried drowning him. Now it's my turn," Mark states.

"What are you saying?" Jeno questions as his stomach begins to feel like someone's wringing it out.

"It's not Jaemin's time. He can't die by Xiaojun's hand," Mark replies pointedly, "Your father wants an angel soul, then an angel soul is what he'll get."

"Mark...no..." Jisung attempts to speak out, but it merely comes out as a faint whisper.

"What about Donghyuck?" Jeno asks.

"I'll have a talk with him, myself. He'll have to understand," Mark responds, "Besides, sacrificing me to your father won't destroy me. Granted, I'll be trapped in Hell to be used at his disposal, but...it could be worse, right?"

"Mark...I cant just-"

"You have to!" Mark hisses, "It's either me or Jaemin, and Jaemin is not going to die today."

Both Jisung and Jeno stare at Mark with saddened eyes.

"This isn't fair," Jeno says weakly.

"Nothing is ever fair, Jeno," Mark shakes his head, "Just...realize that even in the moments that seem the most hopeless, there will always be some glimmer of hope. You just have to find another way."

Though Jeno can feel his eyes stinging, he lets out a weak chuckle.

"You angels always have some sort of optimistic load of bullshit to say even in the face of the worst situations, don't you?" he attempts to joke, but his heart still weighs heavy in his chest.

"Not all of us, but...I guess we're more on the 'glass is half full' side of things," Mark shrugs.

"God I fucking hate you guys," Jeno laughs in the most heartbreaking way as he forces himself to not start crying. He hadn't even known Mark that long. All he did was help get them into Heaven, yet here Jeno was, feeling empathy for him and hating the idea of having to sacrifice him to his father.

"C'mon, let's start getting things in order," Mark states, "I'd rather say my goodbyes to Donghyuck now so he has time to let it settle in and cope."

"Fuck," Jeno utters under his breath, "Yeah...you're right."

And with a nod of his head, Mark turns on his heel and descends the stairs to return to the side of his one true love and say goodbye one last time.