20

⊱ ───── { Jeno } ───── ⊰

"Fuck fuck fuck fuck!" Jeno bellows as he takes his final tome and chucks it at the wall across the room. It hits with a loud bang before landing on the ground.

"M-Master..."

"What?" Jeno hisses as Jisung cautiously wanders into his study.

"H-have you found anything?" he asks with a wavering voice.

"No. Not a single fucking shred of information was in any of the books my father gave me. Over a hundred books and I found absolutely nothing," Jeno huffs angrily.

"Maybe th-that's because you're the f-first half human to walk am-mong the living," Jisung states.

"You'd still think there was some sort of information on how to identify angels or some sort of list...but the only list that exists is the one in purgatory, and that one doesn't even state where the person is intended to go," Jeno grunts.

"What are you g-going to do, then, Master," he questions as he sits beside Jeno's feet.

"The only thing I can do: I'll have to protect him, myself," Jeno states flatly as he paces out of his study and into the hall. Jisung follows close behind, trotting as fast as his feline legs will allow.

"B-but, Master, how long do you intend to protect this boy?" he asks almost frantically as Jeno thrashes open the door to his sacrifice room.

"Forever if I have to," Jeno replies whilst striding up to the pentagram in the middle of the room, "It's my fault he got dragged into this mess, and the least I can do is keep the chaos at bay so he can lead a normal life until he dies when he was intended to."

"B-but that's an angel's job!" Jisung exclaims wildly.

"I know, I know. I fucking hate it, but I doubt those white-winged bastards will do anything. They only intervene when they feel like it. And if Jaemin really is an angel, they definitely won't give a shit. They get a new member of the team a bit sooner," Jeno grumbles as he sits crisscross in the middle of the pentagram, "Useless scumbags. All high and mighty in their ivory kingdom."

"But what will your father say?" he questions timidly, "He's going to wonder why all of the demons he sends out are being cast back."

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it," Jeno mumbles, shutting his eyes and taking a deep breath to calm himself. He needed to think clearly. What he does from here on out was surely going to affect whether or not Jaemin will survive. "Where to start?" he utters to himself under his breath.

"Well...uh...you could protect him using blood magic," Jisung suggests.

"That's actually a good idea, Jisung ," Jeno murmurs, "If I can manage to alter the incantation, I could allow his house to be protected from demons rather than keep demons protected in them. Reverse the purpose."

"Do you really think that could work?" the small cat inquires nervously.

"It's worth a shot," Jeno replies, "I'll never be able to go into his house, but at least I'll feel better knowing Jaemin can sleep soundly at night."

"What about during the day?" Jisung poses the question.

"I...dunno. I'll think of something later. For now, I'll have to start working on the protection incantation and prepare myself to readjust my sleeping schedule. Looks like I'll be awake during the day for a while," Jeno sighs as he tilts his head from side to side, popping his neck.

"Let me know if you need anything, Master," Jisung states, "But...um...where's Xiao? I haven't seen him."

A crooked grin slowly forms on Jeno's face. Jisung couldn't see it due to the fact his back was facing him, but it was indeed there.

"He's hanging around here somewhere," he murmurs, "I'll go get him later. Don't worry. Now leave me to my work."

Without another word, Jisung darts out of the room and leaves Jeno to do what he needed to.