Revelations

"You summoned me," The asshat sat in front of you in the little cafe near your apartment. It was 9pm and you called him for some closure. After all it had been so many months and you felt like you had no answers. Even looking at him now you were wanting to flee but you held your ground. You needed answers.

"And you came. Thank you." His demeanour changed slightly, he seemed less angry, less dicky.

"What did you want?"

"I just wanted to talk. Find some stuff out," his shoulders relaxed and he now felt guilty, "like wha-why-how did you know you loved her and not me?"

He frowned at the question, "I never stopped loving you, pet," it was an automatic reaction to call you by your nickname and this was the first conversation in months where you were both civil. He leaned in on his forearms and sighed, "I didn't actively search for her you know that, right? We were good for so long but at some point we just didn't fit right. I know you thought something was up and I should have come forward earlier and I truly am sorry for hurting you I know how much of a cock I've been since we broke up," he took a breath, "I guess the reason why I fell for her was because I felt comfortable with her from the get go but at the same time she made me feel like everything was new and exciting and I really appreciated it. She was my friend first and eventually...lover. I tried holding it off for so long but then she confronted me one night, telling me that she loved me and I definitely felt the same way for her. But I still love you, pet, we spent a lot of time together and our memories and those feelings don't just go away," you were trying not to cry, "I could lie to you without blinking an eye and you wouldn't notice but with D, she knew me. We're connected in a way that...that I haven't felt before," his tone was sorrowful and he gulped down his tears too. You took a big breath, trying to process what he had just said. You felt a little shit but also relieved, "just know that it was never you. It was us, we weren't right for each other and I really never meant to hurt you and I know this sounds ridiculously dumb but at one point I really wanted the both of you because I held such an enormous amount of love for you two. It sounds selfish, I know buy I'm laying all my card on the table."

"Thanks for being honest," a tear escaped your eye but you were quick to catch it, "I do really appreciate it." Your thoughts were travelling a mile a minute about the pros and the cons and the weirdness of the situation you were put in. But you had to make a choice..fast.

"So who is the lucky winner?" He asked after taking a sip of his drink.

"What?"

"You're thinking hard, you're playing with your necklace," he pointed to your fumbling fingers.

"Oh. Right. Yeah," you paused. Should you really talk about it? Oh what the hell, who's he going to tell, "my roommates. Steve and James,"

"Oh. The guy that took my TV," you gave him a stern look, "I'm kidding I'm totally over it," he crossed his heart.

"I have this amazing electric chemistry with Bucky. We always have something to talk about and he really makes me feel energized. But Steve is soft and sweet. I can just relax with him whenever I want, we don't need to talk and he just knows when I'm feeling like garbage and does or says the right thing," you confessed.

"Who would you say makes you feel like home? Who makes you excited to go home every day because all you want to do is spend time with them?" He asked.

"Good question," your heart sank. You loved them but you had to tell them your decision. "Why did you join me tonight?"

He shrugged, "our time together may be over but we're still in each others lives and if you're in trouble I'm going to try best to help." There was a pause.