Don't tell Ma

"Go where?" Bucky asked.

"She didn't literally mean go out somewhere-" Steve started.

"Yes I did," you commented. Bucky gave Steve a smug look so Rogers just rolled his eyes, "you guys ruined the kitchen and I need a shower and a coffee." The guys felt bad about that and promised to clean up once you all got back. They let you shower while they soaked the pans and tidied up a bit.

"Or I could join you," Bucky called out to you before you entered your room. He knew it was cringy and immediately regretted talking in the first place.

"Bit eager there, Buck?" Steve muttered and got a cloth thrown at him.

"You can't deny it either. I've seen you stare at her ass as she walks away, the little glances to her chest when she bends over. Face it, Steve, you want her just as bad I do,"

"I know that. But I'm willing to wait,"

"So am I-"

"Are you?" Steve interrupted, the men stopped doing their chores and focused on each other, "Are you really okay going a few more weeks, maybe even months without her?"

"I can take care myself, Steve," Bucky noted Steve's serious demeanor. He was really worried about this whole thing and would probably be closed in for the next few weeks, opening up only when you were both in the apartment, never outside. Steve swallowed his words, they were just more questions about Bucky being faithful to you. If there was one thing Steve wanted to totally avoid it would you be hurting you. You take control, you say what you want and they will make it happen.

"Ready?" You emerged minutes later in a better mood from your shower.

*

"You look amazing today," Bucky held your hand and kissed it.

"You already have me," you rolled your eyes, "but continue," you joked. They both smiled. You three were seated at a round table in a local cafe. Red checkered awnings hanging above and wicket furniture all over the place. Steve liked it but Bucky was getting uncomfortable in his seat.
"We can go somewhere else if you'd like," you offered the squirming man.

"Nah nah I'm good. This place is cute. Let me just quickly go to the bathroom, you know what to order for me, Stevie," Bucky ruffled up Steve's hair and Steve shooed him away. You admired the two men, you'd give anything to have a connection so set in stone but you appreciated being part of something abnormal that all parties agreed to.

"So what were you thinking?" You took a better look at the menu.

"This is nuts,"

You turned over the menu, "what's that? PB&J?" you joked but put the menu down and leaned in, "I know its nuts and if you're not comfortable in a few..weeks? A month? Tell me and we'll talk, okay?" Steve widened his eyes in panic, he didn't mean to insinuate that he didn't want to go through with this. Buck and he kept talking about this time and time again over the last few weeks. Still, Steve was worried about hurting you in any way at all. Him and Buck fight sometimes and now that they're getting closer to you he doesn't want this lovely, exciting honeymoon period to end.

"Okay," Steve reached out and cupped your hands while they were on the table. His thumb rubbing yours comforted the both you of you, for a moment you forgot about the traffic noise as well as the chatter around you. Bucky had sat and smiled at Steve, noticing him coming out of his shell. It was a lovely moment-so, of course, it was disturbed.

"Y/N? Hey!" You recognised the woman wearing the big sunglasses.

"Oh no," you closed your eyes and shrunk down in your seat. Maybe if you can't see her she won't see you.

"What's wrong?" Bucky asked.

"It is you! Hi!" She stormed closer, handbag hanging shortly from her shoulder.

"It's my mother!" You whispered quickly and turned. "Hey Ma," she gave you a kiss on the cheek.

"How are you? Hi!" She obviously noticed the two huge beefcakes sitting with you. She introduced herself to them and they did back. Bucky planted a polite kiss on her cheek like the flirt he is, complimenting her and gaining brownie points.
"Ooh, aren't you nice," she giggled, "how is Dylan? Is he coming to my birthday dinner?"

"We broke up months ago. I told you that," she frowned at you.

"No. Really? How are you coping? He was such a sweet guy,"

"Yeah, sweet on his coworkers," Bucky muttered loud enough for everyone to hear. You stopped yourself from slapping Bucky's arm. You didn't tell anyone the details of the break up because you knew people would just be stepping on eggshells around you.

"He cheated on you?" Your mother's tone changed from love to anger. You just nodded silently.

"It's in the past. I'm in a new relationship now," you gestured lazily towards the boys, Bucky grinned at you being so open about it whereas Steve smiled shyly. You hoped she wouldn't ask any more questions and just leave after a quick catch up.
Her eyes lit up and she had to take a moment to process Steve-who she thought you were exclusively dating.

"Fantastic! So nice to meet you! I hope you can make my dinner it's in a few weeks, just a home thing. Don't need to bring anything, the whole family will be excited to meet you!" She poked his pec and seemed impressed. Bucky's heart picked up its speed, perhaps he was jealous of one thing about Steve now. He understood the awkward conversation you'd have to have with your parents about dating two people so he let it slide. Especially when your mother invited him too, "and you James, it would be my pleasure to have you there," was she flirting? All three of you felt a little uncomfortable but proceeded to agree, "perfect! See you soon," she kissed everyone goodbye. No one sat until she left the area, it was a lot of ' okay okay, yep, yeah, good, that's good, thank you' and finally 'goodbye' until she actually walked away.

"Well that was my mom," you huffed out some air.

"She seemed nice," Steve commented, "I'm a little worried how her dinner will go but," he shrugged, "I have no idea what to say someone please say something," he was sweating heavily through his palms and pits. You leaned on the table and sighed.

"I am so sorry that that popped up. Please don't feel obliged to come, she'll understand if you can't. And I'm sorry she didn't assume we were together," you apologised slowly to Bucky.

"Don't worry, I saw her reaction to Steve. I can only assume she'll combust if you reveal everything to her,"

"That she will. Steve, do you mind playing boyfriend?"

"I am...technically...your boyfriend," Steve kept shrugging.

"I know," you smiled, it relaxed both of them, "but you know how you're so much more physically attractive than I am?" You spoke quickly so as not to be interrupted, "they might think I hired someone to be my boyfriend or something," you nonchalantly spoke and the boys laughed.

"You paid someone to act as your partner?" Bucky was stifling his laugh.

"No I just-I-" your hands had a mind of their waving themselves in the air trying to explain without humiliating yourself, "my family hasn't met any of my partners- just purely by coincidence-and I think when I show up with you they'll keep an eye on us. I've just joked that I would hire someone in the past and um, they're pretty impressionable,"

"I'm sure I can give you affection," Steve scratched the back of his neck and put on his lazy smile. Bucky bit his tongue, he didn't fancy the idea of keeping his hands off you while Steve had to have his on you. He could only trust himself to behave and not be overly chummy.