3. In the Hallway

"Secrets, silent, stony sit in the dark palaces of both our hearts: secrets weary of their tyranny: tyrants willing to be dethroned."― James Joyce

"Miss. Underwood," Lady Faith exclaimed.

All of their eyes flew to her. Did the governess lie to him? 

She looked shocked at Lady Faith exclamation. He was holding his breath in anticipation for her answer. What was she hiding? 

"My Lady, h-how did y-you know me?" She paled.

"What is going on?" The ever-cynical brother William talked for the first time. 

"Nothing son. Miss. Underwood was the belle of the ball of Earl of Arundel. It is difficult to forget a beautiful lady, is it not?" Lady Faith said knowingly.

Nick could imagine the governess wearing the most beautiful gown dancing in the arms of a handsome gentleman. It painted a pretty picture.

"I thought you would be marrying quite a gentleman, Miss Underwood. It is a surprise to see you here," Lady Faith said in a friendly way.

"I got engaged after the season, my lady," She said, "I became Mrs. Nevue soon afterward." 

"That is brilliant. Wherever is your husband? I would very much like to meet him, after all, he did marry the belle of the ball," Lady Faith said excitedly.

"My husband passed away five years ago, my lady," She said sadly.

She must have been very young when she lost her husband. Was he handsome or an old man wanting a young wife? Was she in love with him or it was a marriage of convenience? Or she simply married a rich man like all other debutantes? A number of questions swirled in Nicholas mind.

**********

Meeting with Lady Faith Kentshire was overwhelming for Chloe. Everything about the ball years ago and everything beautiful and dreadful that happened after the ball came rushing back to her. She was thankful that everyone went to the ball in the evening and she got the time to compose herself and face Lady Faith with head held high. Even if Lady Faith did not say anything her countenance revealed she knew much more and it filled Chloe with apprehension. 

Chloe remembered her first ball, dressed beautifully in a blue ball gown, dancing in the arms every eligible lord and everyone paying her compliments but her eyes kept searching for one man in the ballroom. Someone with green eyes with a speck of black in it.

She woke up abruptly when she saw those green eyes instead of the blue one of Emmanuel. It horrified her that those eyes belong to Lord Nicholas. She realized she fell asleep with Arthur in her arms, Evan and Evangeline dozed on the settee and Alice curved up in a ball beside her. It seems they all fell asleep while reciting a story.

As she got up with sleeping Alice in her arms the parlor door opened to reveal Nicholas entering, they both stopped when their eyes meet. He looked tired and he noticed children sprawled all around. No one was supposed to be back till late at night, she was certainly not making a good impression as a governess in front of Lord Nicholas.

"Do you need some help?" He said in a deep voice. 

"Pardon me!" She said composing herself, " Thank you for your offer, my lord, but I can do it. I will put them in the nursery."

He started walking towards her his eyes holding her frozen on the spot. He picked up Evangeline from the settee and started walking.

"Hurry up Miss Underwood we shouldn't let children sleep like these for long," He stated rudely.