20. The Forgotten Truth

"The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love." ― Kristina McMorris,

"Are you sure you want to do this, darling?" Nick asked Chloe.

"Yes," She said with a hesitant smile, "Will you stay by my side, please?"

"Always," Nick promised.

The accused were sentenced for lifelong service to the royal army as punishment. Emmanuel's parents were at the Kentshire manor accusing Chloe of killing their eldest son and sending their younger one to die in the army in a foreign land.

She never told anyone what happened on the night of her wedding. How she turned up with a dead groom and a gun in her hand hours apart after her wedding. William insisted her to divulge the story of what transpired so all can have closure and peace else some people will always keep believing she was the one who killed him and keep coming after her.

After heated debate on the topic, Chloe put an end to the discussion by stating she understand Emmanuel's parents need to know the truth and she needed to make her peace too.

Everyone was seated in the parlor waiting for her. As she entered, she was attacked with tense silence, all of her confidence crumbling as she watched all eager faces that exuded nothing but trust in her and she was afraid of being judged and hated by the people who came to love her.

*****
"They disowned me," Chloe said between her hiccuping sobs. Emmanuel didn't know how to pacify her bride. He overestimated her when he spoke of the difficulties that will come with their marriage he thought she understood the depth but she was more naive than she let people know. And now he was at loss.

"Aren't parents supposed to love their children without any qualms?" She asked tears running down her face, "I never thought my father will ask me to leave."

He never thought that either. Everyone knew how much Lord Underwood adored his daughter. Lord Underwood to kick out his daughter was like tearing your heart out from your chest. But she didn't understand she broke her father's heart.

"Darling, I am sure he will forgive you. He loves you too much to stay angry at you forever," Emmanuel tried to soothe her.

"Let us stay the night at the tavern and tomorrow we can leave for our home," He said.

"No," She said frowning, "I am not going to spend my wedding night at the tavern. We are going home."

"My love, it is very late and it is very dangerous to travel at night," he reasoned.

"Your parents hate me too," She said horrified.

"No, what are you saying?" Emmanuel said confused.

"You don't want to take me to them that means they hate me too like my parents," She said and started sobbing again.

He was helpless and she was overwhelmed. She cannot cope with her family cutting all ties with her. She was not an unreasonable person but with these intense emotions running rampant through her she abandoned all sanity.

"Charlotte, love, I assure you, my parents will love you," he said trying to make her see reason, "We will rest at the tavern and...."

"No," She said snatching her hand back from him," I am not staying in a bloody tavern if you want to then you can. I am going home."

He looked at her shocked.

She lowered her head sniffling and whispered, " I just want to go home."