13. Surprise

I doubt whether the world holds for anyone a more soul-stirring surprise than the first adventure with ice-cream. -Heywood Broun

Louis was glaring at the invitation sitting on his study table. He wanted to toss the parchment into the fire but the penmanship kept him transfixed. He perfectly remembered the distinct curve of every letter that belongs to only one person and the memories that come with the person brought water to his eyes.

He was torn between letting his anger take control and trash his study or the melancholy that made him want to cry his eye out in the corner. He settled for keeping everything inside him and walked toward the garden where his family was tending to the garden his father prided himself with.

 His sister returned a week ago and after the night at his study the first night she kept her distance. As much he wanted to hate her for making him lose one person that mattered to him the most he couldn't bring that emotion in him. They say no matter what they do you can never truly hate your children and being his younger sister he loved her like his daughter.

He chuckled when he recalled her stealing his father's brandy from the study for the second time. After watching her for a week he realized she was a changed woman but still the same in so many ways. As he walked toward them he heard Freddie chattering away and mused on how his sister was silent the entire time which was impossible before she lost everything too.

He stopped abruptly realizing all this time he was wallowing in his own grief he didn't realize she had lost more than him. He lost his sister and love of his life but she lost her parents and everyone she knows. 

"Louis!" Lady Underwood exclaimed, "Do come over, darling."

He walked to them and greeted his mother with a light kiss on her cheek. His brother was looking at him pointedly and his sister has gone all stiff. He sat beside his mother facing Fred.

"We have an invitation for this summer hunting season," He said.

"Oh, from Kentshires, I can't wait to meet Nicholas," Freddie said excitedly.

Kentshire! Nicholas! What was going on here?

"Why would we have an invitation from Kentshires?" Louis asked raising a brow.

Everyone seemed uneasy at his question. His brother smile dimmed and his mother kept looking at Chloe who was staring at her lap intently. 

"Is there anything anyone needs to tell me?" He asked sternly.

"Tell him, Chloe," his mother urged.

He looked at her sister and wondered what was going on. Before she arrived back his mother informed him that she is going to bring Chloe back home and left even before he can comprehend everything.

When asked about how his mother knew where Chloe was, Freddie answered that they got a letter with her whereabouts when he was away for business in London. 

"I am engaged to Nicholas Kentshire, Duke of Carlisle," His sister said.

"What!" He said in a higher tone which was seen as anger by Chloe.

She didn't expect him to react any differently, here she was in love with someone on a way to a happy future when her brother was left to grieve the loss of his love when it wasn't even his fault. 

"How did this happen? How did you even meet Kentshires, they are almost royals." 

"I worked as a governess for the children of the elder Kentshires," She said her voice unsteady.

"You do know that the youngest Kentshire is a notorious rake who has graced the bed of almost every widow in London," he said barely managing his anger. Everyone kept silent.