11. The Beginning

A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead." 
― Graham Greene 

Strange at may seems Nicholas was excited for the new beginning of his life. He wanted Chloe to have a proper courtship and now that his mother was in cohort with Lady Underwood he knew nothing can go wrong.

Being the youngest child everyone has always been protective of him, it irritated him time to time but it also has its perks and he has learnt to take advantage of them. 

William, Sebastian, and Sarah were due to arrive today from the Prince's ball. Nicholas and Kat were waiting for the party to arrive so that William could answer their questions. After the greeting from heavily pregnant Sarah, and Sebastian being sure Chloe rejected Nick noting her absence in the estate Kat stopped William from leaving to his chambers.

"I didn't know there will be court waiting for me at home," William said.

"Since we are holding a court do you have anything to say for the deception you created?" Kat asked furiously. 

William stared at his angry wife understanding that he might have gone too far this time.

"Kate, darling!"

"You do realize we might have ruined the wedding, William," She said angrily.

"That's why Oliver came with you and Stephen knew," William said trying to save himself.

"You mean to tell us Lord Bennet would have let something so risky happen at his wedding," Nicholas added.

"He knew the risks when he took Chloe away," William said.

"Does he still love her?" Nicholas asked feeling nauseous.

"No. But he considers her one of the best people in his life and he wanted her to be happy, he was heartbroken that she gave up on living life. So, when I asked him if he could do me a favor by giving a chance for my little brother to wake up to the dream in front of him. He agreed immediately. And Oliver knew it so if anything would go wrong he was there for a timely intervention," William explained.

"Brother, I thank you for the troubles you went for me and you will not be my best man," Nicholas said.

"Strange way to express gratitude. As for my darling wife, I think I gave you another great love story," William said trying to calm his wife.

"I cannot believe you did that," Sebastian said in disbelief.

"Can we all stop discussing what has already been done? And someone tells me why aren't there any wedding preparations going on? I thought everyone will be ecstatic," Sarah said.

"I am telling you darling Chloe rejected him," Sebastian said earning glare from Nicholas.

Hannah explained to Sarah in great detail about what happened which Seb listened to attentively, while William was soothing his wife and Oliver went looking for his children.

Nicholas wondered where his mother was! His mother was absent during the dinner too and Nicholas grew apprehensive how his mother didn't come to bombard him with questions yet. But everyone else seems unfazed and hence Nick didn't voice his question about his mother whereabouts which was answered in the morning anyway.

"Nicholas Gabriel Kentshire!" Lord Kentshire voice boomed through his room. He jumped out of the bed to see his father looking at him in disbelief.

"Father!" He exclaimed.

"Son!"

"When did you come back? You didn't tell us. How are you? God, I have missed you," Nicholas rambled on unashamed, acting like a child in front of his father. 

"At the crack of the dawn. If I told you it wouldn't have been a surprise. I am perfectly fine. And I missed you too. Now, get ready and join us for breakfast," Father Kentshire said.

Gosh, his old man was back from the long journey from India. After Lord Eustace Kentshire bequeathed his title of Kentshire to Oliver much to the dismay of the other houses, he became the advisory to the Eastern company on the behalf of the crown at the King's insistence. After listening to exotic tales of the majestic land of India he decided to visit the country on its own with his friends. Lady Kentshire stayed back in London as she couldn't bear the travel by ship for so long.

And now he was back. His father doesn't seem to age at all. His enthusiasm and energy could beat even his sons and grandsons. And he had been the most wonderful father never raising his voice or hand at his children making them see their mistakes in a peaceful manner.

He was even able to tame Sebastian the wildest of Kentshire brother when everyone else failed and beat Willaim at his own game with his quip and intelligence. Making Oliver understand how to handle the duty and love without suffering either of them and bringing out shy Nicholas out of his shell by being a child with him. 

All in all Lord Eustace Kentshire was one in a million kind of man and all of his children inherited one or more of his talents.

As Nicholas made his way to breakfast everyone was already seated around the table chattering. His father was balancing his grandchildren on his lap in front of him trying to pay attention to all of them who keep cutting each other off telling stories of their own.

After children were taken away with a promise from their grandfather to spend the rest of the day with them everyone finally started to eat peacefully. 

"Nicholas, what are you doing in London still?" Lord Kentshire asked his youngest son.

"What do you mean Father?" Nick asked.

"Now don't play coy with me. I might have been overseas but your mother wrote everything to me. So, I am asking what are you doing here in London instead of pursuing your lady love?" Father Kentshire asked.

"She rejected him, father," Sebastian chimed in.

"Is that so?" His father asked hiding his smile.

"She did not reject me, Seb, how many times should I tell you!" Nick said exasperated, " I will be leaving soon, father." 

"How soon? And what did you plan to do?"

"I will be leaving in week's time and I plan to buy the summer house of Sutherland which is down the road to Underwood's house and make sure Lady Underwood give me the permission to marry Chloe," He said straightly.

"Now that is a good plan but Arundel is a small county and it won't be really a courtship. You can't do much there," His Father explained.

His plan was simple and straight forward but now that his father mentioned he realized there were a lot of faults. He will have to take her to balls and soirees and walk and picnic when his plan only included taking Chloe away and kiss her till both of them forget who they were.

He needed to think of another plan and fast, he can't seem to like staying away from Chloe any longer when it was only two days that she left.

"Darling, haven't Earl of Arundel asked us to attend the hunting season at his estate?" Lord Eustace asked his wife.

"Oh yes, He has invited us for the celebration of his wedding and yearly hunting season which will span the entirety of summer," Lady Faith answered.

Why didn't he knew of this! 

"Now that you are back we have started the preparation for departure but Raymond's won't be joining us since Caro is close to giving birth anytime soon," Lady Faith continued.

Nicholas was wide-eyed at his parent's nonchalant conversation whereas his brother has a smug smile on their faces and his sisters-in-law trying to act all innocent. He never understood how his parents were always one step ahead of their children.

After breakfast, everyone sat around Lord Eustace listening to his thrilling adventures.

When everything was bright and happy at the Kentshire house, the mood keeps plummeting at the Underwood's.

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote.