5. Revealing Adventure

"As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen." -Winnie the Pooh 

Last night ball was a disaster in more ways than one. The worst thing was she met Lord Stephen, Earl of Arundel, once again after five years in one more extravagant ball. All the guilt came flooding back when they were introduced. 

Chloe debuted in a season at the ball of Earl of Arundel at the age of seventeen. Lord Stephen was and still is a handsome man and she was smitten by him dancing the first dance of her life seven years ago. He paid her more attention than any other debutantes and everyone was sure they will get married before the season ends. Her mother and father were elated that she will be countess of Arundel, her father wanted for her to wait another season before tying the knot as it was only her first ball. 

She still remembered her mother going berserk at the idea of keeping the Earl waiting but her worry was misplaced as Lord Stephen wasn't in hurry to get married. For the next three seasons, she became a very good friend with Lord Stephen and after that, she always saw him as a friend and nothing more as her heart beats for her childhood friend Emmanuel. She was reminded of the sorrowful look on Stephen's face when she rejected his wedding proposal and told him she was in love with someone else.

She waited for Lord Stephen to berate her but he smiled and asked her for the dance. A huge weight lifted off her shoulder when he told her there was nothing to forgive as she never did anything wrong and he missed his friend and would be very happy to rekindle the friendship. He was always forgiving and understanding a perfect gentleman, unlike Lord Nicholas.

She chided herself for bringing Nicholas into her thought after last night she vowed never to think of him ever again. She should be focusing on Stephen and being a good friend this time around. She hadn't seen Nicholas after he went with Lady Samson and she refused to acknowledge the burning in her heart. She didn't want to know where he spent his entire night or what he did. Because she does not bloody care.

Last night also cemented her friendship with Lord Sebastian and Lord Oliver. Lord Sebastian was the easiest person to talk to, a real charmer and he persuaded her to join the family for morning breakfast, thank heavens children joined everyone otherwise it would have been one awkward breakfast for her. 

She was feeding porridge to Arthur, everyone engrossed in light conversation when suddenly a chair screeched and she looked up to find Nicholas sitting between Lord William and Lady Faith at another end of the table. He looks like he didn't get a wink of sleep last night. His clothes rumpled and hair sticking out everywhere looking unfashionable and unkempt but all the more handsome. She averted her eyes sound of her heartbreaking loud in her ears.

The disastrous evening was turning into a good evening when Lord Stephen forgave her. She was dancing with him but for the entire time, she was thinking about Nicholas and wishing it was him here with her despite her anger. After her outburst she expected him to fight with her but he left without saying anything and for no apparent reason, she felt hurt. 

She was finally able to keep him out of her mind focusing on the people in front of her but watching him with Lady Samson felt like something was tearing her heart apart. She couldn't help but feel betrayed and she knew she didn't have the right to feel this way. He can have any woman at his feet and it angered her that she was beginning to be one of them. She didn't understand what she wanted because she definitely was not going to be his mistress.  

"You look like a storm ran over you," Lord William said with all seriousness.

In response, there was only a grunt.

"It seems someone enjoyed their night too much," Lord Oliver said sipping his tea.

"Lady Samson seems very accommodating behind the curtains," Lord Sebastian said wiggling his eyebrow at Nicholas.