21. Kentshire Tradition

"A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences." ― Dave Meurer

The recent tragedy affected every member of the family and it was visible through their actions. Chloe was always surrounded by one or the other family member at all times so much so her mother has started sleeping in her bedchamber. Everyone had that lingering irrational fear something outward might happen again even though she was perfectly safe inside the manor.

Lady Underwood and Lady Kentshire started the wedding preparations in full throttle, bringing back the happiness and liveliness to their home. Everything was going back to normal and they were coming out stronger and closer than ever before.

Nick was happy and grateful to everyone for keeping the company to his bride mindful of her emotional state but he was getting frustrated not spending enough alone time with her. Every time he complained to his sisters-in-law they all said, "Men! So impatient. Can't even wait till the wedding."

The Ledger was once again talking about how Kentshire taunted the gentry's of ton by changing the venue of the wedding to St. Paul's Cathedral, the unofficial venue for many private royal wedding. They wrote a public apology letter considering the recent tragedy that befallen them but that didn't abate their slandering of Kentshires.

"This is famous," Said Lady Kathalina during the breakfast, "Did you read The Ledger? The bloody newspaper keeps finding things to libel us with. I have never seen them doing anything else than bad-mouthing us."

"Don't sullen your mood in the morning by such things, Kat," Said Kentshire father lovingly, "You need to learn to ignore them, lass."

"What have they written this time anyway?" Asked Sarah.

"Apart from twisting all the situation for their own advantage, they claimed they have the list of the wedding guest and which of the nobility's are snubbed by the Kentshire," Kat said aghast.

"Where can I get that list?" Lady Faith asked nonchalantly.

"Why do you even want that list?" Lady Underwood asked puzzled.

"So we know who we needn't invite to the wedding," Lady Faith said smirking,

"The list will tell us who went behind our back in our time of need and who our real friends are," Lady Hannah answered for the puzzled people around the table.

"How do we get the list, then?" Freddie asked. Lord Kentshire laughed out loud at his question while all other men were horrified.

"Good lord," William exclaimed, "Do not encourage these ladies, Fred."

"Leave it as a joke," Oliver added passively.

"Would be good though? Imagine..." Kat said.

"No," William said sternly, "No more of this."

Everyone went back to their breakfast dropping the matter instantly. No matter what the ton believed the wedding was decided for the following week and only family and closest friends were invited. The guest respected the Kentshire wish to keep the wedding date a secret and let the ton believe invitation were yet to be sent.

Chloe was exhausted from her final fitting of the wedding gown, never thought trying on clothes could be enervating. She just laid on her bed while her mother was reading near the fire. She was seeing her mother in a new light. The one that wanted to protect her and loved her and Chloe misunderstood her very much.