Chapter I

A/N

If you're a music person, here's a song that basically inspired this whole entire book! Basically the theme song! 

___

For most people, getting a drink in the middle of the night is easy. 

Not for me though.

I get the icky feeling that something is watching me as I press the glass cup to the refrigerators tab that releases water. My eyes stay glued on the black fridge even though I want nothing more than to turn around and run back to my room.

My aunt's house almost invites the horrors of the woods into her house with her big, see-through glass door staring right into the pines and maple trees. The leather couches sit in the living room in front of the sliding door and a television sits in the corner with a ceiling fan set above. I'm always scared to walk through the living room at night...and it's not the ceiling fan that freaks me out.

It's the fact it seems like something is constantly watching in the branches of the woods. I wait one day for a shadow to lean against that door, staring in with wide eyes.

I was born with an extremely large imagination. I sometimes joke that all my ego from when I was little went into my imagination and just stayed there. I imagine big, red eyes staring at me sometimes and honestly jump in my socks. With a few more glances, I soon get that I imagined the red eyes staring me down through my head.

Some water spills onto my hand, suddenly, making me startle back into reality. I was in a daze, staring at the fridge. I pull the glass back, making more water slosh all over the place. I contemplate actually getting a rag and cleaning it up, but a harsh wind outside sends me tiptoeing to my room.

On my way up the stairs, I hear my sister's voice through the thin walls.

"Oh my God, Ruby is so hot," she says through the phone. "I wish she would just honestly hook up with me."

My face goes blank at her words. Ruby? As in my best friend Ruby?

Oh hell no.

I about barge into her room and throw my water on her to watch her melt because she's a witch, but just when I pass the door, I hear her again.

"Ew, not Ruby Welsh," Ravenna snaps into the phone. Ruby Welsh is my best friend, thankfully not the one my sister was talking about.

"Oh fuck off," I grumble into the door in anger before continuing down the hallway. Now that I am upstairs, I feel an intense warmth in my stomach that I know is the feeling of safety. I don't feel so revealed as I felt downstairs. I slide past my aunt's door, hearing her obnoxious snoring and peeking in the room to see her taking up most of the bed. Poor Uncle Ricky. I bet Aunt Janice never gives him much room. I finally get to my room, grinning as I see a familiar green, and mean, ogre on my television screen. I don't care what people say, Shrek is the best movie to watch late at night.

I hum along to the famous theme song as I situate myself, setting my water down on the table beside my bed before crawling into bed. I place the television remote next to me, partially hidden under my pillow. The cool plastic of the remote makes me jolt away from it before I get comfortable again. I take a sip of my drink just as my head touches the soft fabric of my pillow and I feel sleep wash over me.

Outside my window, the only tree I can see is the small pine tree. My aunt Janice knows I have a fear of the woods, therefore she placed me next to a little pine tree I call Chris, for obvious reasons. The moon highlights the tree perfect so my face is shadowed by it's pointy branches.