Chapter XVII

Grim barely contains his rage as he stands before me. I can feel the hatred and disgust dripping off of his eyes as he stares at me. "How dare you?" He sounds betrayed.

"How dare I? Did you forget what you did to me yesterday?" I seethe. Grim's body flinches. Although it looks utterly painful--his skin literally peeling back--he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. But instead, he is focusing his anger all on me. My throat tightens as I realize, and I take another involuntary step back. He takes one forward.

"I did what was necessary, Cassie," his voice is raw with emotions. It sounds broken and almost weak. Maybe I hurt him more than I intended. As he steps forward again, the flaps on his shirt loosen, showing off my muscular pecs. "You were getting too close to me. Consider it a gift."

"I don't care," I shake my head. I come to stand in front of my window. My back prickles as I feel the cold air of November against the glass. "I was getting close because I want to know just as bad as you as to why I can see you and demons and--" I break myself off. I don't want to say angels around him. Mostly because I do not want to seem like an idiot if they are not real.

"Continue that sentence, Cassie, because I damn well know where you were going with it," Grim spits out. He's so close I can feel the heat coming off of his body. He doesn't dare come any closer than that, though.

"Angels." The word sounds foreign on my lips. Grim hums at my response.

"You've figured it out. This world isn't exactly as you little humans see it. You don't believe in things like me simply because you never see us. We like it that way. We walk your Earth with thirst and unstable power. In the face of us, Cassie, you humans are nothing."

I force myself to swallow. My throat feels dry like a desert.

"So tell me this Cassie," Grim's voice is deathly dark. "Have you figured out exactly what I am?"

His eyes stare at me intently. The shadows have slowly been recoiling from his handsome face, showing off more perfect skin as he speaks more horrifying words. I find his gaze disquietingly and force myself to look away.

"No," I mumble, my eyes darting in every direction away from him. I can hear the smile in Grim's words when he replies.

"Perfect."

I snap my eyes over to his. His lips are on full display. "What are you, Grim? Tell me." I demand.

Grim tenses at my tone, before his shoulders, tighten. His reply leaves me staring blankly at his mouth in shock, betrayal, and most of all dread.

"I'm the God of Death." His voice is clean of any emotion as he says those five words. I bring my hands up to cup my head, wishing he never told me. It feels like I'm now swimming in trepidation as he stares at me. I shake like a bell, my eyes barely blinking because of the shock riding my bones.

Grim mumbles some words, suddenly. They sound out of this world and so ancient and powerful, I almost become entranced with them. Seconds after, Grim is picking up my face without his flesh burning. I gasp in surprise.

"Surprised, Cassie?" Grim asks me shorty. "I'm more powerful than any being that walks this Earth. You think an amateur spell will keep me from touching you?"

"I didn't put it on," I cry. I don't know what else to say. I don't want him to think that I didn't want him to touch me. "I'm sorry," I push out. A tear falls from the corner of my eye without my approval.

All this time, I had thought that maybe I could change the way Grim viewed me. I was human. I would hope he would realize that. Humans hook onto emotions. We let emotions control us, no matter which ones they are. Fear can cause us to do something we regret. Anger can make us scream words we don't mean. Happiness can make up smile without realizing. Emotions are our humans everything. Right now, I have about a thousand different ones coming at me, and the only thing I can do in the face of it is cry.

Grim is silent for a moment, the only sound being my rapid breaths. Then, his finger is sweeping across my cheek, picking up my tear. "You shouldn't be sorry," his voice is hushed, almost scared. His voice lacks any normal intimidating deepness or rumbling thunder. "I am a monster, and I allowed you to enter my game. The moment you took a notice in me, you were sucked into my world whether you liked it or not. I should be the one apologizing," his voice becomes almost a whisper towards the end. My surprise doesn't let me speak. I just stare at him. I feel like hugging him or tugging him towards me, but I cannot bring myself to touch him. He admitted it. He's a monster and I meandered straight into his game. The only way out is if he leaves me alone.

"I suppose this is your goodbye?" I ask him. It seems as if I am taking to the air because it takes him so long to respond.

"For a little while, at least. I'll check up on you, Cassie. When you have children and a family of your own, I'll return."

"No, please," I gasp out. "I don't want you to come near my children," I plead. His gaze swings over my face once more before he nods. "No offense," I mumble. 

"That is fair," His voice has turned into a dulcet whisper. "I won't return, then. This is forever and will always be our last farewell."

Another tear slips out, but I don't know if it's from relief or sadness. I'd gotten so used to Grim's presence, I wonder how I can possibly come home from school and not expect him to show up.

"Goodbye, Grim," my voice is almost inaudible. He nods gently.

"Farewell, Cassiopeia." He almost has to push the words out. The shadows are now almost revealing his whole face. I can see his black pupils. They shine with uncertainty and something new that makes me tremble. Seeing him up close sets me off guard. He is even more attractive than I originally thought, his eyes almost shaped by the gods and his nose a straight line connecting his perfect eyebrows. My eyes lock on his lips as he licks them, and I can see his eyes lock on my eyes as I stare at them.

Something burns like a firecracker between us. It's snapping and growling at everything, almost pulling us together. I dare myself to lean closer to Grim.

I'm surprised when he suddenly leans toward me as well. I didn't expect him to kiss my lips, but it's still an odd feeling when his lips kiss my forehead. It sends burning sparks all the way across my hair and down to my spine where I shiver underneath his touch. He lingers, his lips soft against my forehead. I close my eyes, enjoying the blissful feeling of his lips on me.

When I open them again, Grim is gone, along with any trace of him ever being here.

___