Chapter IV

I'm not a huge fan of horror. If my big fear of monsters lurking in the woods and my brain constantly imagining angels and demons wasn't a sign, though, I hate scary stuff.

Which is why I immediately lead Caleb away from the scary section of the Halloween store and toward the princess section. He laughs as he realizes why I constantly push him toward the baby stuff before wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"Don't worry, Cassie, I'll protect you," he whispers. I look up at him before fake-gagging.

"That was the most cliche and grossest thing you could have said at this moment," I lie. Inwardly, my heart is skipping necessary beats. Caleb's eyes shine.

"That's why I like you," he says, "You always speak your mind and you not into that lovey-dovey stuff," he pokes my cheek. I let out a noise before scattering away from him. I head directly to a fluffy raccoon costume, my fingers tangling with the striped tail. Caleb comes to my side soon.

"A raccoon? Last time I checked, you weren't Lauren," he jokes. I start laughing, besides myself. Lauren Getty is the weirdest girl I've ever met. Her hair is three different colors and her eyes are always the color red from contacts. She believes she's from another world and wears pounds of black makeup around her eyes. Nothing is wrong with her, she just hates the world and that is her way of dealing with it.

"Yeah..." I trail off. My eyes lock on a football uniform, meant for a girl. "Hey look, I can be you," I giggle. Caleb turns on his heel, grinning when he sees it.

"Okay, you have to try this one on!" He laughs. He walks over to me and grabs the outfit, shoving it into my arms.

"What? No way!" I shove it back into his. Calebs eyes narrow.

"Okay, fine," he starts. "You be me, and I'll be you." My eyes widen. I cannot imagine Caleb in a black wig and talking in a girly voice. Which is why I immediately agree.

"Deal!" I squeal. I search for my size quickly and dart off toward the changing room. I pass by the scary section, my insides lighting up in fear as I see a clown mask. Oh no. Not a clown.

I shake my head and just charge into the fitting room, locking the door and sucking in a breath. This date is going well. On the way here, Caleb and I talked about songs and Halloween. It was right around the corner, about five days away. Normally, I don't care about Halloween, but now, I'm excited. Caleb mentioned a party at his friend's house.

I remember thinking if this was his way of suggesting I come.

I've never been to a popular party, let alone a football captains party.

I am aware of who Caleb's best friend is. It's Turner. Turner is my school's football captain. He's ripped to look like a bodybuilder, and he is lean. Everyone's a fan of Turner. It sucks he's a total dick. Turner could have more girls that Caleb if his personality did a 180, but even some of the bigger...boy-loving girls...of my school don't like Turner. He thinks he's a star when in reality, he's king of dickland.

When I texted Ruby about Caleb mentioning the party, her response was "omg, lucky you, he def wants u 2 go w him." I just awkwardly looked away and out the window. I saw the last moments of the sunset, since now that winter was around the corner, the days were shorter--well actually they are longer but there's no reason to go nerdy right now.

"Cassie?" I hear Caleb's familiar voice. I freeze with the tight, white leggings on my legs.

"Yeah?" I call back. I hear Caleb chuckle.

"You've been in there awhile. I'm done," he points out, sounding closer to my stall. My face flushes as the heavy red curtain swishes. I know he's right outside that curtain. Imagine if he opened it and saw me struggled to get my pants up. They are so tight I'm surprised football jocks can run in these.