Chapter XIII

"Shut up!" Grim hisses before me, his hand slapped over my mouth. My scream clogs in my throat before my eyes cross with the immense pleasure coming from his hand placed perfectly on my mouth. Not good.

"What are you doing?" I mumble into his hand. Grim hesitates before removing his hand, glancing at it before cautiously stuffing it into his cloak sleeve.

"Shutting you up so no one comes running in here."

"I thought you left."

"I never leave you, pumpkin," Grim's voice goes dark and broody. It would sound romantic if it weren't for the sole fact this dude wants to kill me. The more he stays with me, the more he learns about me. The more he learns about me, the faster my life ends. I swallow before narrowing my eyes at him.

"You were gone for three days."

"Not gone, just remained in the shadows. I figured it was best if you didn't seem me...in a rather scary state." His words send a chill down my spine, resulting in my lower back bristling. My mind becomes acutely aware of the fact I am leaning completely against my door and Grim is less than the width of my cell phone away from me. His knee skims mine gently, letting heat sneak up my thigh.

"A scary state?" I repeat, still mumbling against his hand. Grim nods. The face paint is gone, showing off his tan skin again instead of the ghastly white paint. "What exactly are you?"

This makes Grim back away from me. He pulls himself back, turning his head before his body follows. He walks around my room, glances outside, turns back to me, turns away. He finally decides to lean against the wall next to my crooked bookshelf. He gets up moments later. He stares at me before he stands back up to his full height, his head almost touching my ceiling. His heated gaze makes me feel lightheaded.

Grim stalks over to me before shaking his head. He collapses onto my bed, the mattress squealing in protest. He pats the spot next to him. I cautiously walk over to him, sitting on my pillows in order to be far away from him.

Even though I enjoy his scarring touch, in his nervous state, I'm afraid of what can happen. Grim doesn't seem to care or notice me moving away from him.

"Who was that?" He suddenly asks.

"What?"

"Who was here? His thoughts were unbearably loud and utterly disgusting," Grim's voice sounds like he just swallowed a grape whole.

"You mean Caleb?" My throat clogs up. Grim just nods. "No, don't do anything to him, please. He's innocent and super nice." I beg him to not touch him. I don't know exactly if Grim is a serial killer with powers, but I want him nowhere near Caleb.

Grim recoils as if I've burnt him. "Do you think I just kill anyone?" His voice is grim. I swallow before speaking.

"Well...you are here to kill me."

To my surprise, Grim starts to laugh. At first, it sounds like a giggle, then it shifts into a cynical one. "Pumpkin, I only kill what I am meant to kill." I shift in my seat.

"You're killing me. Why are you meant to kill me?"

Grim ignores my question. "Maybe if I tell you exactly who I am you will understand," Grim mumbles. My heart flutters. That's exactly what I want, yes. He gets up off my bed and begins to pace again. His behavior reminds me of a freshmen on finals week. "Or maybe you won't, and I cannot have that." He thinks out loud. I listen as much as I can, wanting to hear every bit of information I can. "No."

"No?" I echo. "No what?"

"I won't tell you who I am, yet. You won't even give me a chance to continue speaking to you."