Season 2, Episode 22 - New York (Redone)

Rachel is standing in the middle of Times Square looking around at all the sights New York City has to offer. It had been a long time coming for her and the Glee Club to get to this point and she couldn't help but soak in the glow of being in the place she had always dreamed she would one day live. "I made it," Rachel exclaimed in awe of the city she had waited such a long time to go see but it hadn't been easy to get there.

Cut back to a week ago back at McKinley High as Mr. Schue enters the choir room with Jesse St. James. "New Directions I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant Jesse St. James," Mr. Schue said as Rachel was the only one to clap excitedly for Jesse. "I don't trust this guy. He's gonna trick us into doing something stupid so his alma mater wins," Finn said defensively. "I don't need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn," Jesse smirked. "Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls. I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get because," Mr. Schue said as he pointed to the board which he wrote 'NATIONALS' on the board. "This is it. We've been working so hard for two years for this moment, and that moment is finally here. I was talking with Jesse and he agreed we should continue with our successful trend of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet," Mr. Schue said. "Rachel and I should sing a duet.We killed it last year at regionals with "Faithfully"," Finn said enthusiastically "Yeah. It killed us. We lost," Quinn said sarcastically.

"May I?" Jesse asked as he raised his hand "Uh, yeah," Mr. Schue nodded. "I agree that Rachel should sing lead, but, Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. The fact is, most of the other guys in here are better singers and Mike Chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop," Jesse shrugged. "You see what I'm talking about? This guy's a jerk!" Finn said annoyed "Maybe you could be a little gentler with your advice," Mr. Schue said. "Gentle?" Jesse said in disbelief "Yes," Mr. Schue said. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize we were training for the "Good Try" ribbon at nationals. I thought we were in it to win the whole thing, and there's only one way we can do that," Jesse said. "Poison darts?" Brittany asked "The Vocal Adrenaline strategy is simple. Identify your best performer and build the entire performance around them," Jesse said as the New Directions seemed intrigued. "So what does everyone else do?" Mercedes asked "And who's our star performer?" Puck asked "We're gonna have auditions to find out. I'm gonna post a sign-up sheet later this afternoon," Mr. Schue said as most of the members looked enthusiastic about it, all but Finn and Quinn who figured Jesse would pull the performances in Rachel's favor.

Cut to Rachel walking down the hallway to sign up to try and get the starring slot. "To think, two short years ago I was marching down this hall to sign up for Glee Club auditions, and now look at me. Look at us. Nationals. So much has changed," Rachel grinned in her voice over as she wrote down her name. "I'd never had a boyfriend and I still had a tiny layer of baby fat. But there's one thing that hasn't changed my dreams. I'm still going to be a star. Which means I would kill to get this solo," Rachel said in her voiceover as she noticed Finn walking past the sign up sheet. "Hey, you haven't signed up to be the lead vocalist at nationals. Santana, Mercedes and Kurt have," Rachel said as Finn continued to walk "Hey, you're the male lead of this group. Everybody looks to you for guidance," Rachel frowned getting in front of Finn. "I don't need nationals to feel better about myself," Finn shrugged. "We've been working towards this moment for two years now," Rachel frowned. "And I've been busting my ass to be a better singer and dancer for two years and that Jesse kid comes in and wipes out all that hard work in 10 seconds," Finn sighed "My confidence is shot." "No, you're really good," Rachel objected "You have to believe me." "Yeah, I'm- I'm Lima good. Not New York City good. Rachel, I'm sorry. I'm not auditioning," Finn sighed as he walked off leaving Rachel upset. Rachel wished there was some way she could restore Finn's confidence but at this point it seemed like there was nothing she could do.