Chapter Two

KAT

        After hours of listening to Mack's pointless babbling about how things are gonna be soooo different and soooo weird now that we're older, we arrived. By the time we got there, I was more than done with Mack and ready to find our boys. We arrived at the Curtis house which was right by the one we used to live in before we left. I was kind of nervous when I walked into the empty yard. You see, when I left I was currently dating Sodapop and Mack was kind of dating Ponyboy. When we came home, Pony sent us a letter, telling us a LONG story of what had happened since the 2 weeks (at that time) that we had been gone. It turned out, sadly, that Johnny and Dallas were dead. So, when Mack said Dallas was 19 now and Johnny was 18 now, she meant they would have been. Dallas was a big part of Mack's life because she had "sort of" dated him once, and Johnny was my best friend. So, it was kind of hard to know how things were now.

        As I walked up to the same old door I had known my whole life, Mack followed nervously behind. "Kat, are you sure you want to do this?" she questioned. I turned around to face her breathing in really slow. "Yes!" I shouted. I had enough of her questioning for the day. "I am totally sure that this is going to be absolutely fine and everything is going to be okay, alright?!" I screamed. Mack nodded slowly and slightly replied, "Just don't be disappointed when I'm right, okay?" I nodded back and just as I did the door opened. 

        I turned my back around and there stood a perfectly handsome, older, Sodapop Curtis....and Sandy. My heart was broken. I felt completely and totally stupid. I mean, what was I thinking?! That he would remember me and want to get back together with me? That I would fall into his arms and he would kiss me just like he used to? But what happened next made it even worse. Sodapop looked at me and Mack disgusted and yelled, "Who the hell are you?!" I frowned and started to say something when Ponyboy stepped out with a red headed girl. I turned around to see a tear rollling down Mack's cheek. She must have been just as crushed. 

        "Soda?" I said. "It's us. Kat and Mack." "Oh," he replied. "The girls that broke mine and my brother's hearts two years ago. The ones who lead us on and then had to leave the next few days?" Well, you two can get lost!" He walked back inside and slammed the door. Just as he did, another old friend walked towards us.

        None other than Darry Curtis. "Kat?" he uttered. "Mack?" "You remember us?!" I asked in surprise. "Of course but I don't know what you two would be doing here?" Mack had enough. She burst into tears and started yelling at Darry. "Well, what we're doing right now is leaving!" she grabbed me by the arm and we jumped in the car. "Where are we going?!" I screamed. "Anywhere but here!" she yelled back. Uh-oh. This wasn't going too well.