Blind

I woke up that morning, expecting to be in my old bed back in LA. But no, I wasn't woken up by the sound of my siblings yelling and running around. It was silent. Pure, blissful silence. I smiled as I pushed myself into a sitting position.

It had only been about a week since I've moved to London, to start fresh. It was quite a big change but so far it was everything I had dreamed of. I've never traveled very far before, so this was a huge step for me.

I forced my self of out bed, looking around me happily. I had my own little apartment, I got very lucky. Living in London isn't cheap. I stood up from my bed, wondering what I wanted to do today. I haven't really explored my neighbourhood very much, maybe I'll go for a walk. I got dressed, making myself look decent enough before I left my apartment.

I hadn't really found the time to just take a deep breath and take it all in. I've been busy since I got here, unpacking and searching for a job. Though, I did discover one place. There was a little cafe down the street from my place and it was so cute. I smiled as I walked out the door. It was a little terrifying being all by myself but it was so freeing. I had nothing holding me back anymore, I was free to do whatever I wanted.

I explored my little neighbourhood for while, taking in everything around me. After a while of walking, I came across a little path. It looked very unused, vines and grass were growing through. It almost covered it up, but I decided to walk through it anyways. Either I'll come across something amazing, or it'll be a dead body.

Who knows? I pushed my way through the small path until I came to a small clearing. I brushed my self off and looked up. I jumped a little when I noticed a person sitting underneath a giant tree. The tree was almost smack in the middle of the clearing.

It seemed that a small park used to be around here but it looked like it was taken down. The person sitting against the tree didn't seem to notice me. He was sitting on the side, looking straight ahead of him. I noticed the boys hands gently pulling at the grass. I was tempted to go up to him, curious as to why he was alone. But I decided against it, it wasn't my place to intrude. He could be there for the sole purpose of wanting to be left alone. I didn't think it was my place to disturb him.

But, I stood there for a while. I watched him from the end of the pathway. I could feel curiousity bubbling up but I quickly put it to rest. He didn't once look over at me or anything. He probably wanted to be left alone, he was most likely just ignoring me and hoping I go away. I stood there for a while longer, before deciding to turn around and head home.

I had stood there for much longer than I expected.
_______
I don't know what brought me back to that little clearing but two weeks have gone by and I've stopped by everyday. I was surprised to see the boy still sitting against the tree. I was standing there at the the end of the pathway again, watching the boy who sat in the grass.

I was debating on going up to him, asking him why he was here everyday. I bit my lip and took a step closer, moving quietly. I slipped out of view, going more behind the tree so he couldn't see me. Surely he had noticed me coming here, its been 2 weeks. I've stopped by everyday, yet he hasn't said a word.

I slowly made my way towards the large tree, I could see his hands running through the grass. As I got closer, I noticed something laying in the grass next to him. I quietly came up behind the very large tree and stopped in my tracks when I realized what was in the grass. It was a white cane. A stick for blind people. Shit, what do I do? I took a step back.

Maybe I'll just turn around and leave, maybe he doesn't want to be disturbed. No wonder he didn't notice me watching him, he couldn't see me. I backed up more, being careful to not step on any sticks. "I know you're there" He said, speaking up. "I may be blind but I'm not daft" He said in a deep, thick british accent. I stopped in my tracks. Crap, I was caught. I wondered if he would notice if I just ran away. I decided against doing that, it wouldn't be very nice.