Prologue

Darkness was falling on the quiet little hospital room, a woman lay in the bed sleeping, and a man sat at her side, a little black haired boy curled up in his lap. "Daddy?" The little boy asked, looking up with his blue eyes "Where's Ashley? Can I hold her" he pesters "No Richard, not yet, she's asleep" The boy pouts "But I haven't got to introduce myself to her!" He says indignantly, the man laughs "Tomorrow, I promise you can introduce yourself to her" Dick lay back down, seemingly content with this answer, and went to sleep.

People, dressed in black stood around a small crib, looking at the premature baby, a ruddy faced man smiled "She's perfect," he said. They would raise this child to be the best villain the city had known. A woman, hooded in black stepped forward, placing the small baby into a little sling, and attached her to oxygen tubes "The faster we get in and out, the better for her" she smiled, and stroked the child's soft head "Little Ashley, I have always wanted a daughter"

A nurse, walked into the room, gently touching the mans shoulder, she shook her head "I'm sorry" she said softly. Looking at the bed, she saw it register with the mother, who was holding her young son. The woman didn't wail, she just let silent tears burn down her face, and then said "You did all you could" Holding her sleeping four year old tight, she cried silently, as the man stood by the window, watching the sun rise over the horizon.

The woman with the baby was the first into the Gotham warehouse, geared for living, she and the young Ghuls had been tasked with raising and training the baby "Sleep now, daughter of darkness" she said, setting the small form inside an oxygen box, geared for the small child slightly undeveloped body. "And, welcome to the family"