14: A love for speed.

The movie night went great. She and Bart saw a comedy, and Ashley found herself laughing despite herself. After the movie, they held hands and walked down main street for a while, listening to some of the music drifting out of the open bar doors. 

Inside one particular bar, beautiful fast-paced violin music blared. Bart looked at her with a sly grin and pulled her by the hand against his chest. 

"What the hell do you thin..?" She asked, but her words died in her throat as he began to spin her around the sidewalk. 

"Im dancing with you." He grinned at her, and began to swing her around the semi-crowded bar front. People began to watch as they danced, Ashley's grace making up for her lack of knowledge in dancing. After they bumped into an angry man smoking a cigar, Ashley pulled away.

Bart smiled at her softly, daring her with his eyes. She took a shaky breath, then pecked him quickly on the lips. "Come on Bart, people are staring." 

"Only at your beauty." He fired back, his eyes glinting. 

Shaking her head breathlessly, she tugged on his hand, beckoning him to follow her down the street away from the stares. He followed reluctantly, but soon began to talk to her with renewed enthusiasm. Ashley soon learned that he had come from the future, that he was three years older than her, and that he holds a job under his father as a detective. 

Ashley felt bad, she had never even asked him about himself. They had only discussed hero things, and her time under Bruce Wayne. He of course had no idea that Bruce was Batman, but he knew that she was the Shadow. 

Only when he cleared his throat, did Ashley snap back to reality. "Yeah, uh, sorry. What did you say?"

He smiled sadly at her, and asked again, "Whats your story?"

She paused and looked at her hands. She had never had to tell her story before. Dick had taken her in, assuming that her claims to amnesia were true. He had lectured her of course, when she had revealed that she had taken orders directly from Cheshire to steal the jewelry the day they had met.

Other than that, her training with Ra's had remained completely in the dark. She had thought that maybe Damian, being raised by Ra's, would be able to tell, but as of yet he hadn't said anything.

"Oh, well just your typical girl gets stolen and then gets rescued by her brother type of story." While she spoke, Ashley tried to bring a smile to her face, it came out more like a grimace.

Bart looked unconvinced, but otherwise refrained from questioning her. They walked in silence for a while, swinging their joined hands between them. The text tone to Ashley's phone broke the looming silence. 

Unknown- It's almost your curfew. Hurry home, Father has you set to patrol with us tonight."

Ashley glanced at the time on her screen. It read 9:40.

Looking around frantically, she said to Bart,

"I have to be home in twenty minuets, I totally forgot." 

Checking the watch on his wrist, the speedster had a wicked grin growing on his face. "You'll never make it home on time. Unless we run.."

He trailed off, grinning at her gleefully. Nope, Ashley's stomach turned at the very thought of hurtling through the air supersonically. 

"No-No I think I'd rather be!" Her words cut off with an undignified scream as Bart scooped her into his arms, and took off.

Her stomach dropped to her feet and the howling of wind drowned out all other sounds around her. Ashley buried her face in his neck, trying to forget the terrible pressure the howling wind was pressing on her back. 

'I am going to gut him' She thought helplessly as she clung to his shoulders with her trembling hands. 

The world came to a grinding halt around her as Bart put on the breaks. They skidded for a moment, before coming to a complete stop in front of the Wayne estate. 

"Made it with eighteen minuets to spare." Bart said proudly, gently lowering Ashley's legs to the ground as he did. 

Her knees trembled, but a sort of rush was also running through her veins now, replacing the nausea that had threatened to see her hurling up her popcorn. Leaning into his chest, Ashley realized that she liked to go fast, not only did she like it, but she loved it.

"Bart, I should gut you.." she began, her voice empty of any anger, "But that was, amazing." The words were a soft whisper as they passed through her lips. He was breathless as he looked down at the short girl who leaned heavily against him. 

Tightening his grip on her waist, he pulled her face up to his and kissed her again. The kiss was a rush for her, he was a rush. They kissed until his hands began to fumble at the hem of her shirt. She pulled away quickly as the feeling of his fingers there on her bare skin, her heart racing. 

"I-I'm sorry Bart, I have to go home now." 

He was breathing heavily as he eyed her where she stood, a red flush coloring his cheeks. His form was vibrating, shifting around the edges as he stood there. Shaking his head, he smiled sweetly at her and said.

"Well then fine lady, let me take you home." 

Grinning, she ignored his out stretched hand, and instead opted to leap onto his back. He laughed at her, looking over his shoulder at her.

"Better view?" 

She nodded, and closed her eyes to feel the rush of air as they took off again. When they re-opened, they stood in her room. Jumping down lightly from his back to wobble around to her bed, Ashley said to him.

"Thanks for the lift, lets do this again some time." 

Bart grinned, and saluted his lady love. 

"See ya later babe." 

With a whoosh of wind, Ashley felt lips brush hers for a moment, then she stood alone in her room with only the lingering smell of his detergent to remind her he had ever been there.

With a grin, Ashley turned towards the door to inform Alfred of her return to the manor.