Chapter Eight: Dalton Academy

Kurt Pov

My first day at my new school came before I knew it.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I got even more so when I saw the building- it was extremely fancy, with large brick steps and what look like marble floors from here.

I cautiously made my way up the steps. There were a few people walking through the halls- it was a weekend, so there weren't classes today.

Checking the map I had been given, I walked up the staircase and tried to find my dorm.

Eventually I found it, taking out my key and unlocking the door. I shut it behind me, walking inside.

I began to unpack. I was about halfway done when I realized I wasn't alone in the room.

Curled up in an armchair in the corner of the room, a rather fragile-looking hispanic boy was reading. Well, he was holding a book as if he was reading before I came in, but his eyes were watching me warily. The minute he saw me looking, his eyes darted away.

"I'm Kurt, the transfer student," I introduced myself. He flinched at my voice, but gave me a small half-wave.

I continued to unpack. I had just finished when the door opened, a blonde and dark-haired boy talking energetically.

The blonde looked over, seeing me. "Oh, hi! You must be the transfer, right?"

"I'm Kurt Hummel."

"I'm Jeff, this is Nick, my boyfriend, and that's Thad." He gestured to the boy in the armchair.

I knit my eyebrows together, confused. He didn't even look over at Thad, he just knew he was there.

"What's wrong?" Nick asked.

"Nothing. Just... you didn't look over at him, but you knew he was there," I explained.

Jeff shrugged. "It's sorta his spot."

He offered no further explanation, so I nodded, still mildly confused. "Right."

Nick glanced over at Thad, who wasn't looking at us. He wasn't reading, either. 'Long story,' Nick mouthed. I nodded again.

A bell rang, and Thad winced at the loud noise.

"That's the dinner bell," Jeff explained. He looked over at Thad. "Thad?"

Thad merely shook his head softly.

"Are you sure? You should eat something."

Again, he shook his head.

Jeff sighed, almost inaudibly. "Okay. We'll be back."

I followed them out of the room.