Chapter Eleven: A Lesson

Kurt POV

Friday afternoon after classes, we were all in our dorm when something happened.

Thad checked his phone, standing up.

That alone captured their attention. There wasn't a class, and he only stood up for classes.

"Thad?" Jeff asked cautiously.

"Going home for the weekend?" I asked casually. Thad nodded. "See you Sunday, then."

Thad waved slightly and left the room.

Everyone stared at me in shock.

"What?" I asked.

"What?" Jeff repeated. "What? He hasn't left that chair except for classes, and he responded to you, that's what."

"Maybe if you didn't make it such a big deal he'd do it more," I said. I wanted Thad to recover, and there was one way to do that. "Or stop prying about what happened the minute he shows signs of wanting to talk to you."

"We don't do that," Jeff immediately defended.

"Yes, hun, you do," Nick said quietly.

Jeff shook his head. "I just- I just want to help him, he's one of my best friends."

"And you don't need to know what happened to help him," I said. "Just casually support him as if it's no big deal, ask him to join you to going places and then just say 'ok' if he refuses. Don't make a big deal of it and it won't be a big deal. If he feels comfortable telling someone, he'll tell you. If not, he'll be glad you're there for him anyway."

He was quiet, and I could see the conflict in his eyes. The idea that he didn't need to know wasn't one he'd ever been aware of.

"Trust me. Just try it and see, see how much it helps."