chapter 1

An older man sat at his desk, holographic screens surrounding him. Across from the man was a young woman; she looked about in her early twenties. She had very short dark chocolate hair, which complimented her colourful eyes. Her skin was lightly tanned and a few deep scars spread along arms. The woman wore a sleeveless sweater and long dark pants. Over her left eyes was an eyepatch that covered up a damaged eye.

"I have a few requests, sir," the woman stated, her hands intertwined with each other. The man nodded his head, allowing her to continue. "First, I would like any and all information about myself to be strictly confidential. Second, if I were to obtain any A.I fragment you have created, make sure it is to aid my mental wellbeing. Third, whenever possible, my left eye shall be remove completely." She finished.

He paused and hummed for a second, processing the list of request from the younger female. The male agreed to her condition in exchange for her service to his program. After that, he shooed her out to get outfitted in a new battle suit.

•••

The woman, Alexis, was shown around the large ship by man with a tablet. He explained to her the roles and expectations of each soldier here. The guy informed her that she had her own private quarters and the whereabouts of the cafeteria.

The two entered a room with a large window that overlooked a large training arena. In the room was, presumably, a male in tan armour. He was watching another soldier dressed in cyan armour training in hand to hand combat. The soldier turned his head once he heard the doors slide open behind and sprung up upon seeing the counsellor, the man who was showing her around.

"Hello, agent York." The counsellor greeted. The other agent replied with a simple hi. "If it doesn't bother you, would you mind showing agent BC to the other agents?" He asked the soldier. 

"Yeah, sure." He answered, a bit unsure.

"Great." The man turned to look at the new agent. "You are in good hands, agent BC." He left shortly after, leaving behind the new agent dressed in red and white armour.

The air soon filled with an awkward atmosphere between the two.

"So, uh, what's you name..?" Agent York seemed uncomfortable with the lack of verbal input. The woman answered his question with just her agent name, BC. She gestured her hand towards him, asking the same question. "It's York." He told her. They sat in silence for a good minute before the door slid open again.

The agent from the training room walked in, slightly out of breath. York was eager to introduce them to avoid the awkward silence.

The female reached out her hand to greet the new appearance. They hesitated to shake but did so once seeing her calm and polite body language.

"Welcome to the team."

•••

Alexis had been invited to sit with the main team of Project Freelancer at dinner. She didn't talk much, a bit intimidated with the large number of highly trained individuals. So she spent mostly listening to the conversation the other Freelancer Agents were having.

Just watching them do talk and how they acted was an easy indicator on their personalities. Carolina, in cyan armour, was the leader of the group. The way she spoke with confidence and being able to make decisions quickly really showed her leadership skills.

Maine, with white and brown armour, was more silent than the others and only gave a few words. However, his body language showed that he was a bit childish but his physique was brutish. Alexis could only guess the amount of weight lifting he's done.

Then there were the twins: North and South. They were dressed is similar armour, the only difference being is that one had a lighter shade of purple and green than the other. South Dakota sounded more stubborn and hot headed in contrast to her calmer and rational brother. But it seemed the two have a close bond with each other.

Wyoming who wore a white, silvery armour was a bit more independent compared to the twins. From the stories he told of his missions, it seemed as if he worked better alone then with anyone else.

There was Agent Washington, the naive kid of the group. He didn't seem like he would be fit to join the military, let alone being in a huge military project such as Project Freelancer. Alexis almost felt pity for the male agent.

York, whom she had previously met, was a mature and easygoing guy. His general atmosphere was relaxing and refreshing after going through so many uptight and stiff characters in the past.

And lastly was Connecticut, Connie, or C.T as she is referred as. She, to Alexis, was a pessimist in many ways. Not mention her dimmer comments here and there. Alexis didn't really want to associate herself with her but it seems inevitable.

"Hey, it's BC, right?" North asked while biting a piece of whatever was served for dinner. She nodded in reply, a bit shy to speak. "So, how is it being the newest here?"

"Uh- well. It's pretty interesting," she said in a small voice. The group was able to hear her and asked her a few more questions whilst continuing their other conversations, so she didn't feel too left out.

•••

Alexis laid down onto the stiff bed, covering herself in the thin blankets given. Laying her head against the firm pillow, she shut her eyes to try and allow her body to rest. Her mind, however, was very active.

I'm so bored!

Shut up Lexi! We don't care, you freak.

Well, I'm not the freak here!

The body needs rest. Allow me to sleep, please.

Do I care? No.

You won't be able to use it unless it gets rest, Alexia.

Yeah! Listen to her.

I told you to Shut up!

Quiet now.

Alexis' eyes grew heavy, too heavy to try and leave them open. Her head had finally calmed itself, allowing both mind and body to succumb to deep sleep.

•••