2. Fight club

"Ren, classes are out you know? Are you coming?" Anzu asks, waiting at the door of the classroom the next day.

Ren shakes her head. "I have training." she informs the girl a bit sadly, making Anzu's face fall.

"Again? You sure train hard Ren. You will do really well this season!" Anzu exclaims, making Ren nod hesitantly. "I will see you tomorrow then." she waves before leaving the blonde girl on her own.

Ren sighs before gathering her things and dragging herself off towards the sports grounds.

Several times a week she trains to stay fit and ready herself for winter's season. She's a speed skater and it's hard work and sometimes she isn't sure how passionate she is about it anymore.

If she's honest with herself, she knows where her hesitance stems from. It used to be everything to her, but at some point, her parents and mainly her dad started to push her harder and harder. That's when fun was replaced by pressure.

She goes through her routine as usual but her mind dwindles. Today has been an exciting day, and not in a good way.

There is Ushio, this senior kid who oversees school rules with his squad in a very... diligent way. Anyway, he kicked Jounouchi's and Honda's asses because they supposedly bullied Yugi.

Sure, they are not always the kindest guys around, but to get beat up... that's really something. Yugi has been stressed out all day. Ren heard that Ushio charges for his 'services'. He must be asking much from the boy, but Yugi won't tell.

She throws a towel over her shoulder as she makes her way back to the school so she can change into fresh clothes when she comes upon a peculiar setting; "What in the world are you doing?" she asks Jounouchi who is standing in the canal beside the school, Honda looking down on him.

"Ren! I-uh..." he stammers, holding up something that looks awfully familiar.

"You ass! You snatched one of Yugi's puzzle pieces?!" Ren exclaims in disbelief.

"Well I'm getting it back now aren't I?" he growls. "Now help me out of here!" he says, tossing the piece to her before Honda helps him out of the water.

Ren gazes at the puzzle piece in thought when Honda snaps her out of it. "There went Ushio with Yugi." he states, alerting Jounouchi. "That can't end well. Let's go Honda!"

Ren watches them run off. "Hey wait!" she calls, quickly following after them. She's not sure what made her follow. She wants nothing to do with that Ushio guy. Maybe she's worried about what will happen to the boys. Ushio might hurt them worse then he did earlier. And especially Yugi's nothing against a guy like that.

Her eyes widen when they find the tri-color-haired boy unconscious on the ground. Jounouchi and Honda turn to Ushio as Ren rushes to Yugi.

"Yugi, wake up!" she urges, hoping he's not hurt too badly. She leans in when he's trying to speak, "I...I asked the puzzle....for some true friends..."

Ren blinks in surprise before letting out a small smile. "I wouldn't worry too much about that." she tells him, putting the piece Jounouchi fished out of the water in his hand before turning to the other boys facing Ushio.

She flinches when Ushio punches them hard, knocking them to the ground. "Hey! I don't know what morals you live by, but they're twisted!" she calls, jumping up to shield her classmates from more abuse.

"Step aside Asami. I'd rather not hit a girl. Especially one who can't stand up for herself." he spits, making her flinch, but she stands strong either way. That was a low jab.

"I can, for a friend." she says softly.

Ushio smirks. "Suit yourself. Let's see how much your daddy appreciates it." he says before taking a swing.

Ren barely dodges the first blow thanks to her trained reflexes, but Ushio has his reach going for him. It feels like her head split right open before all goes black.

It is then that Yugi forces his eyes open and is shocked to see his classmates sprawled on the floor. He clenches his hands in frustration as he watches Ushio saunter off. He never felt so helpless.

A pinch in his hand makes him look down at it, unfolding his fingers. The last puzzle piece. He came so far just now and this is what he was missing. He can finish it now, make his wish come true...

He sets the piece into place and what happens next is beyond anyone's imagination. A shadow casts over three fallen teens, a set of eyes upon them before flicking towards their prey. "It's game time."

........

"Here you go." Jounouchi says, throwing an ice pack Ren's way. She quickly puts it to her head with a moan of pain.

"That was the first time someone actually hit me." she pouts, not happy with the damage done.

"He is an asshole." Jounouchi grumbles, looking out the window. "I don't know what happened to him, but he got it coming." he continues, watching Ushio's friends drag away the sobbing mess he has been reduced to.

"You okay Yugi? You have been pretty quiet." Honda asks, making the smaller boy snap out of his thoughts, "Y-Yeah, just thinking."

Honestly he can't remember a thing after seeing classmates unconscious and he's wrecking brain over why. He hadn't had his head hit so hard right?

He shakes his head, giving up and looks up to see the other three talking together and cracking jokes. He can't help but smile. Is this what happens when you bring people together with a common enemy? Or is it something else?

"What are you saying is giving you a headache?" Jounouchi asks Ren.

"Your face is." she counters, making Honda crack up and Jounouchi start ranting. "No seriously, I'm going home and take some serious painkillers. I'm not into this whole fight club thing you guys have going on here." she tells them, getting to her feet.

"Hey, you followed us remember?" Honda points out, making Jounouchi nod.

"Well someone needs to keep a level head among all that testosterone." she defends weakly, making Jounouchi wave it off.

"Whatever the reason, thanks though for sticking up for us."

Yugi nods in agreement. "Yeah Ren. That was really nice."

Ren blushes visibly, not used to such attention. "Jeesh you guys. All I did was get my ass kicked." she waves off the compliments. "Give yourselves a little credit too."

"Well, I'm off. Take care you guys." she calls, making for the door, but pausing next to Yugi, "So you finished that puzzle huh? It looks really neat Yugi. Look after it carefully." she advises, making Yugi smile, his cheeks dusting red when her eyes catch his.

"I-I will. Bye Ren." he answers meekly.

Jounouchi makes a cooing sound when the door closes after Ren, making Yugi's head whip back at him, his eyes wide in horror causing Jounouchi to chuckle in amusement. "You and ten others pal."