9. Red encrusted ice

Ren takes a deep breath. She's nervous. Today she has to ride a qualification race, the first race in the season. This event has kept her mind occupied for the last few days, distracting her from all the other things that have been going on.

A knock on the door makes her lift her head and what she sees makes her smile. "You guys made it." she breathes in relief when she sees her friends enter the dressing room. She has already changed and is ready to go out for a warm-up round.

"Of course. This is a pretty exciting gig you've got going on here." Jounouchi grins.

Ren nods hesitantly. "I guess." She is still in a constant fight with herself if this is what she wants to keep doing. Yugi smiles at her in understanding, knowing how she feels.

"You're looking nervous, but don't worry. I, Honda, will make sure these guys will do a proper cheer!" Honda vows. Ren smiles at that. "Thanks, I'm happy you guys are here. I'll do my best."

"Oi!" a sudden voice interrupts. "What are you kids doing here? You'll interrupt Ren's concentration. Now scoot!" the man ushers. They recognize him as Ren's father.

"Dad, they are just here to cheer me on." Ren tries to defend them, not wanting them to get thrown out so carelessly.

Ren's father scoffs. "They can cheer from the stands. Now it's time for you to get up there. Hurry." he urges Ren who sighs. She waves at her friends with a sad smile before she picks up her skates and leaves through the other door with her father.

"Jeesh, what a mean man." Anzu grumbles. "Yeah." Miho agrees, sticking her tongue out after him.

"Let's hurry up there and find a good spot. Ren could use our support." Yugi urges, dashing out the way they came with the others following soon after.

They find a seat near the start. They don't have to wait long for Ren to come up dressed in a skintight black and white suit. She lets out a deep breath before sinking down into position alongside her opponent, another girl Ren's age.

The silence is broken by the bang of the starting pistol and the second the skaters set off, the friends start cheering at the top of their lungs.

It's an exciting 3000 meter race and they watch with adrenaline coursing through them as Ren and her opponent go head to head, sticking close together as they speed over the ice like bullets, their skates clicking with each stroke.

Yugi can't help but glance towards Ren's father who is shouting the loudest of them all, beside him sits a delicate woman clutching her purse tightly. That must be her mother.

Looking back towards the race something catches Yugi's eye. He doesn't know why this takes his notice, he doesn't know much about ice-skating, but one of the blocks lining the corner is off center. He clasps onto his puzzle as a nervous feeling overcomes him.

Looking over he sees the two skaters approaching the corner and he jumps up to warn Ren. "Look out Ren!" he shouts at the top of his lungs, startling his friends, but it does the trick. She has seen the danger and does a few extra steps to avoid it, ending up in her opponent's lane thus disqualifying her, but at least she is safe.

Her opponent falters however, also coming across the block and steps onto it causing her to slip away. She falls onto her behind and starts sliding towards Ren who has slowed down now that the match is over.

The two collide before both slide into the cushioned railing lining the side. All is silent for a moment before a loud scream echoes through the rink, followed by another.

The teens watch in horror as medical personnel rushes towards the fallen girls, a smear of blood is trailing towards them from the center of the course. They quickly make their way down to see how their friend is up close.