7. Mystery man

The museum. They all decided to go this Sunday and Yugi had only Ren left to invite....

"I don't think I can go." she tells him, staring at her shoes as they sit outside by the tracks. School had just finished and Ren was already out the moment class finished and her friends were still making arrangements while on cleaning duty.

Yugi looks down sadly. "Do you have practice again?" he asks quietly before seeing her nod silently.

Yugi grows silent. Ren hasn't really changed her attitude since they last discussed it. It may have gotten even worse. She tries not to take it out on her friends, but sometimes she can't seem to help herself. Yugi knows she doesn't mean it. Ren is one of the kindest people he knows.

"W-what's wrong Ren? You're not doing well. I can tell." he finally dares to speak out. He wants to get to the bottom of this so that maybe he can help her and see her smile again. He's been looking at her frown for the past two weeks now. He can't take it anymore.

He startles when a sudden sob comes from his friend. He wasn't expecting this. "Ren. Please don't cry. Tell me what's wrong. I'm your friend..." Yugi tries.

Ren roughly wipes at her eyes, but it's little use. "I-I'm just so tired... I don't want to feel this p-pressure anymore." she tells him, making him blink. "Q-qualification rounds are coming up, a-and I've been working so hard, but it doesn't feel like I'm doing enough. If I don't work harder, I feel guilty towards my parents, but when I do, I also feel guilty...for neglecting my friends."

"And to make matters worse... I-I just can't sleep well. A lot of things happened lately that really scared me. I'm having dreams... I-I don't know if that's the reason, but... I'm starting to hate ice-skating. I hate it!" she shouts, shocking the boy.

"Ren..." Yugi breathes worriedly before doing what feels best at that time. He wraps his arms around his friend in a hug. He lets her cry until she's finished. He isn't sure what advice to give her. He doesn't want to say the wrong thing.

Finally she calms down and she pulls away, her nose and eyes red. "S-sorry Yugi. I didn't want to dump this all on you all of a sudden." she apologizes, looking ashamed.

"N-no. It's okay. That's what friends are for right?" he assures her. "Maybe this is just what you needed, to let it all out." he muses.

"Maybe..." she sighs. "I do feel a little lighter." she confesses, making Yugi smile.

"Hey Yugi?" she asks. "Yeah?" "Maybe it was just an overreaction. I don't want to throw in the towel so soon... Do you think... Do you think you and the others can come watch at the qualification tournament? Maybe it's better...when I have my friends there with me."

Yugi smiles brightly, nodding. "Sure! I'd love to come and I'm sure the others would too. Remember Ren, that whatever you decide to do in the future, we'll have your back either way!" he says confidently, making her smile.

"Thank you. A-and, I'll do my best to be there Sunday." she tells him, cutting him off before he can protest by gently putting her hand over his mouth. "I like hanging out with my friends, more than anything."

Yugi smiles when she drops her hand. "Okay. But take it easy." he urges, making her nod.

..........

They all meet in front of the museum, along with Yugi's grandpa who received the invitation from his friend, professor Yoshioka, a famous archeologist. The museum's owner and Yoshioka's sponsor is also present.

He is really into Yugi's puzzle and somehow manages to persuade Yugi in lending it out for the day for the exhibition. Ren can see he is feeling really uncomfortable without it.

"Let's just stick around until closing time, then you can get it back. I'll wait with you if you like." she offers.

"It's going to be a long wait. Are you sure?" he wonders, making her smile. "I'm sure it won't be that bad if we wait together." she says pointedly, making him blush as she uses his words against him.

They have fun as they are shown around the museum by the professor. Jounouchi's fear for mummies got a good laugh out of them too, but soon they reached the end of the tour and parted ways.

Ren swings her legs as she sits on the ledge by the stairs. They have to wait for half an hour and the museum will close and Yugi can get his puzzle back.

"Did you..." Yugi starts hesitantly "see an Egyptian?" he finally asks. "Egyptian? No, I don't think so." Ren answers.

"Oh." Yugi sighs. That was a really strange man he ran into earlier, carrying scales. He really left an impression.

While he ponders over his encounter, he doesn't notice Ren staring at him, deep in her own thoughts. She still wonders who that person is that seems to appear somehow when there is danger.

He looks so much like Yugi, but Ren knows for sure it's not him. She hasn't seen or heard much of him, but there are too many differences. Their characters are complete opposites.

But who is he then? And where does he come from? And where does Yugi disappear to when he's present? Does Yugi even know about it? If he does... he doesn't show it.

Ren sighs. So many questions and so little answers....

"It's five. I'm just going to run inside and get my puzzle." Yugi announces, snapping her from her thoughts. "Yeah, I'll wait right here." she calls after him.

She waits and she waits, but Yugi is taking a long time. Finally she grows impatient. Jumping down from her perch, she makes her way into the museum, taking turn after turn in search for her friend.

"Yugi!" she finally calls, turning another corner, only to slam into someone. "Oh, sorry mister." she quickly apologizes after looking up into icy amber eyes. "I didn't hurt you did I?" she asks.

"No." he answers after a moment of silence. "You were calling for...Yugi was it? Is he your friend?" he wonders, making her nod wearily. She gets some really strange vibes from this man. He looks to be Egyptian. Is this the man Yugi mentioned earlier?

"You may find him back there." he motions down the hallway. Ren nods once more. "Thanks." she mutters before hurrying down the now dark hallways.

"Yugi!" she calls once she sees him, making him turn around. His puzzle hangs from his neck once more. "What kept you?"

"Sorry Ren. I got a bit sidetracked." he apologizes.

Ren waves it off. "Shall we go then? This place is a bit creepy after closing time if you ask me." she shivers a little at the sight of the hollow eyes of several masks lining the wall.

"Yeah. I see what you mean." Yugi agrees before they make their way out.

"Did you run into that Egyptian man again?" Ren finally asks as they approach the exit. "How did you know?" Yugi asks surprised.

"I bumped into him on the way. He told me where to find you. Odd guy he is though." she muses. Yugi nods. "A bit isn't he?" he laughs. Yugi has no idea that the man just went walkabout in his soul, coming across something, or rather someone he did not expect.

"I hope you had fun today." Yugi tells Ren who nods. "Of course. Like I told you, I like hanging out with my friends. I'm glad I came." she says, making Yugi smile. "Me too!"

"Well, I'll be going this way. See you tomorrow Yugi!" Ren calls before hurrying off towards home, Yugi waving her off. Neither of them can predict just what soon will happen as the man from before steps out of the shadows.

He points a key-shaped item toward Ren. "I'm sorry for this, but I must use you to draw out the other Yugi."