14. Alone Together

"I don't know where you're going but do you got room for one more trouble soul?" Fall Out Boy

-

Zoey Willow Hunter

Two weeks later.

When my friends and I had decided that Nico should be included in our activities since he was our friend now, we didn’t consider his thoughts on that. Being our friend meant that if we were going somewhere, you were going with us, no matter what. We also liked to plan things at the last minute, so we were used to going to each other’s houses in the early morning to drag a certain person to go out with us.

One hour ago, Joel called me and announced the idea of everyone going to downtown Ottawa for the day. It was Saturday morning, nearing 8 am.

This meant that if we left Silvercrest in an hour, we’d come back just after the sun went down. Joel took care of most of the guys, meaning Amir, James and Oliver. I biked to Diana and Lucy’s houses.

“Hi Mrs. Carpena,” I said politely.

“ZOEY!” she cried out, throwing her arms around me.

Lucy’s mom probably loved me the most of her daughter’s friends, if that wasn’t obvious enough.

“Can I steal Lucy for the day?”

Mrs. Carpena put a hand on her chin pensively, and then waved me off, “Of course, I’m tired of her anyway.”

“Great,” I said, running to Lucy’s room.

The girl was sprawled on her bed like a starfish, her hair everywhere. Her mouth was slightly open and if you looked closely, you could see a bit of drool. I stifled a laugh and went as close as possible to her ear.

“LUCY!” I screamed.

My best friend jumped like a cat being electrocuted. She looked around in panic and her expression changed form worried to murderous in seconds when she saw me.

“How many times did I tell you not to interrupt me in my sleep?” She said calmly, wiping her mouth.

“A thousand,” I said, “get dressed. We’re spending the day at downtown.”

She went under the covers again, grumbling curse words in Spanish and English.

“We’re meeting up in front of the mail house in an hour,” I said, leaving already.

In the space of fifteen minutes, Diana Jones was up on her feet chasing me around her own house. Her red hair was standing on her head and if her eyes could produce fire, ashes would have been in my place. She grabbed my jean jacket, catching up to me.

“You bitch! You don’t wake me up when I’m dreaming about being on a date with Harry Styles!” she glowered, panting for breath. The thing about Diana was that she was obsessed with more than five bands. She was an official fan girl, to the point where her birthday presents mainly consisted of band shirts.

“I’m sorry I cut your dreams about that curly singer!” I said, trying not to laugh, “We’re going downtown. Meet you at the mail house.”

I ran towards the front door and fleeted from my own best friend’s house. No one wanted to mess with Diana, especially when she was sleeping.

Feeling my phone ringing, I picked up.

“Z, I got the guys,” said Joel, sounding breathless.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, James tried to beat me up when I woke him up. Amir threw a book at me. Fred and Aaron spilled water on me. Oliver punched me in the stomach.”