18. Running In Circles

early last wednesday update because of how lovely you all were about my birthday and the kiss. i hope you like this chapter. thank you so much. 

-

"I was just guessing at numbers and figures, pulling your puzzles apart. Questions of science, science and progress do not speak as loud as my heart." -Coldplay

Nico B. Forrest

   ONE minute I was waiting for Zoey to come back with an amazing segway and the other her lips were on mine.  She was kissing me. Or I was kissing her. We were kissing each other.

I felt her lips exit mine and I opened my eyes. She was right in front of me, her eyes wide. Touching her lips, every second that passed made her cheeks get even redder. Almost unnoticeable freckles sprawled on her cheeks made her look even more innocent.

“Uhm, I—um,” she stuttered. Her braid had gotten looser throughout the day and the strands of brown hair intermingled with dark blonde came out of the braid. Her eyes were actually a shade lighter than I thought, they were more like walnut.

“Cat got your tongue?”

Fuckity fuck fuck.

She was beautiful.

“Why’d you kiss me, Hunter?” I asked, watching as she didn’t move. We were still an inch away from each other.

Her expression turned from embarrassed to shocked, “I kissed you? You kissed me, Forrest!”

“Your face was a centimeter from mine! And you had your lips puckered!”

“I was going to kiss you on the cheek but you turned away!”

Oh.

Well this was awkward.

“You kissed me back!” I pointed a finger at her accusingly, my finger hovering over her nose. This was making me uncomfortable as hell, because I had never faced a girl who was…upset about kissing me.

She backed away and kept her eyes on me. “You kissed me back first! You went into “good kissing” mode with me! What was I supposed to do, not kiss you back?”

“So you admit I’m a great kisser?” I said smugly, feeling the corner of my lips go up.

She got even more flustered, if that was possible. “No! I never said that.”

“You said I went into good kissing mode. Don’t deny the truth, Hunter.”

Zoey gave me a glare. “Shut up or I swear I will shoot your manhood off.”

“Why are your knickers in a twist?”

“Because we kissed.”

“So what?”

Even though I was saying it so nonchalantly, I was freaking out on the inside. Kissing her felt different than kissing any other girl; somehow, with her everything felt right. I wasn’t only deducting this from what just happened, but also the night she kissed me under the influence of alcohol. When we kissed, I don’t know, I got feelings.

As much as I hated to admit it; it was comparable to kissing Beth. Maybe even better.

“So what? Friends don’t kiss, Nicolas!”

“Don’t call me by my full name.”

“I can do whatever I want!”

Out of the blue, I envisioned myself grabbing her and kissing her to shut her up. This shook me up and I had to control myself from doing something stupid. Damn it, what was happening to me?