Prologue - Quinn

(Quinn's mother in the picture above)

All I felt was guilt, and I hadn't even done anything yet. How the heck do you sneak out of a house?

"Won't that be great!" My mom exclaims putting down her cup of herbal tea. This month's theme of tea was fruit, unlike last month's peppermint.

It seemed she was always trying something new, as last month she had added ventriloquism to her list of randomness. Two years ago she became vegetarian, adding to her "hippie" vibe. I hadn't picked up the new resolution, but I did do yoga with her twice a week. It always surprised me, as she, a thirty-eight-year-old, was in such great shape. Her body was "model" skinny, and enough muscle so you could tell she worked out. Her blonde hair was always tied up in a messy bun, strands of gold falling across her flawless face.

"Yeah," I say almost automatically, my mind going over the plan on how to get out of the house tonight without getting noticed. "I mean, having some random kid live in our house for a whole year sounds safe."

"Oh, come on Quinn, It's not gonna be that bad. Plus, he'll have a friend to start off the school year with! You can introduce him to people!"

"Why are they coming so late in the school year though?"

"It's only two weeks in." she argued.

"Yeah, I guess." I reply, my mind wandering to the photography competition. Tonight it was going to storm.

A perfect photo opportunity.

My mom would never allow me on the water during a storm, though; it's "too dangerous." Part of me agreed with this, but the one-hundred dollar prize was worth the risk of my safety.

"-what do you think?" my mom asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm?" I ask, looking up from my cereal.

"Gosh, Quinn, sometimes I wonder if you ever listen to anything I say!" My mom laughs and takes my cereal off the table.

"Hey! I was eating that!" I pout.

"Not anymore! You, my dear, have a bus to catch."