Apparently, They Aren't Closed - Quinn

AHHH SORRY GUYS!!! If you read this chapter beforehand you'll have realized that I accidentally posted the next one twice. Anyway, here ya go my peeps

Water, why does it have to be water? I sit straight up as soon as I feel the cold rush slap my face. The memory of the boat flickers into my view.

"Good, it worked!" The old man smiles, Aspen helps me to my feet.

"You okay?" she asks. I nod, trying to slow the tremors shaking my insides. "Good, because we have a bit of a walk."

"We're leaving already? Don't I get any time to rest?" I wine. I wake up here and not even thirty minutes later we're already going on a hike.

"You can rest while we walk!" She laughs.

"You sound like my mom," I grumble

"You girls best be off, I assume you want answers sooner rather than later?" He asks I mumble a yes and we head out the door.

The walk through the town is brief, Aspen had gone through a side gate in the city. When we had reached it there was only one guard. He paid no attention to us as we walked out.

Neither of us made any move to start a conversation as we walked through a slightly worn path. The only sound was the undergrowth crunching beneath our feet. I guess it was my job to break the silence, besides, I had a few questions.

"So, uh," I cleared my throat. "I'm not dead?"

Aspen laughed. "You say that like it's a question. But to answer, no. You're in Gahm, an Elven kingdom in the middle of the Forest of Gahm."

"How are you so calm about this? Do you get world jumpers every day?"

"Well, no. But I've seen some pretty crazy things, and this just happens to add to my list."

"The craziest thing I've ever seen is a kid from my school try to fit a book in his mouth."

"That's awesome." She smiled

"Eh, the book didn't survive."

"Oh gosh," she laughs.

An awkward silence settled between us again, neither of us knowing what to say. I tapped my fingers on my thighs, trying to distract myself from the uncomfortable quiet that sat between us.

"So," I managed. "Your dad ok with you running off with me, like, without him knowing?"

"Eh, I disappear for days at a time, this will be no different. I'll send him a letter if this takes longer than planned, but I'll be fine," she states, kicking a rock across the path.

"He's just fine with that?"

"Yeah, he knows I won't do anything stupid. We live in another town not too far from here, but I've been staying with my grandfather Morkin, who you met earlier. He won't even know I'm gone." She laughed. A small rumble shook the air, snapping us out of our conversation.

"What was that?" I ask.

"I'm assuming it's the old hermit, he's always building... things."

We continued the walk up until we reached the large tree that I'd heard so much about. I rap my knuckles on the wood and step back.

"Go away. We're closed," a scratchy voice says from inside.

"Sir, it concerns the other realms," Aspen tries

"Wait, you- I'll be right out," he said. A series of clicks were heard from the inside of the door, a tall handsome man stood in the entryway.

Dont forget to click that star! Helps me tons guys

have a wonderful day

-Mari