My Dad's a Construction Worker - Quinn

(Aspen Pictured above 'cept she has blue eyes (art by selenada-d88woze as I found this off google images))

 Another leaf floated down as I took in my surroundings. The painted canopy swayed back and forth as a crisp summer breeze rustled my hair. Something wasn't right. Memories quickly flooded back into my mind, the waves, the boat, the voices, all still fresh.

Where was I? Taking another quick look around, I stood up, a gust of wind blowing my way. Instinctively my hand reached for my pocket, this would be such a great picture. As my hand reached my side, I felt no pocket, only rough fabric. I looked down. Where were my jeans?

My clothing had been replaced with a white flowy blouse and what seemed like light brown pants or leggings, and my feet were covered by leather sandals. I stepped backward, my foot brushing against something. A small satchel stood by my feet. I reached for it.

Inside I could see a small pouch containing a myriad of round metal pieces including what looked like copper, silver, gold, and more. Another small drawstring bag was filled with a few stones with some scribbles carved into their face, and my old shirt and jeans that I had fallen in the lake in, including my phone. Oh my gosh, my phone.

I snatched the device from inside the bag and turned it on. No wifi. Tears started to form in my eyes. How was I going to call my mom? Where the heck was I? Hot tears started rolling down faster, I knew it, I was dead. What other explanation was there? I gasped for breath between sobs. I'm dead, and all because I wanted a stupid photo.

Something touched my shoulder. I looked up to see a beautiful girl, who seemed to be around my age.

"Why are you crying? Today is a great day, the forest demon was killed, and we praise Javvar for his great power. He slew the demon and we no longer live in fear!" she said, her eyes filled with hope.

"What?" I said in confusion. "Who and what are you talking about?" I questioned, wiping the tears from my face.

"Javvar, the savior of the Forest. Come on, follow me. The village is celebrating, you're missing out," she said and grabbed my arm.

"But where are we? Am I dead?"

She looked at me, puzzled, "What do you mean? You haven't been taken by Death. You are in the forest of Gahm." She told me. "Wait, how are you here? You're human, you can't be in Gahm, that's impossible." She frowned, clearly confused.

"The forest of what?" I ask. "No, I fell off my boat. I live in Harvard, Massachusetts." She stared at me blankly. "You know, right on Blue Hill Pond?" Another confused look. "United States of America? Earth?" Eyes wide, a look of realization dawned on her face.

"I must take you to our high Enchanter. Follow me." She started walking off, I followed. While we walked I had the chance to study the girl's complexion. She had long straight black hair and flawless pale skin, and her eyes were an unsettling blue, icy and cold. As I looked closer I noticed her veins weren't normal, they seemed much more green.

"What is your name?" She asked, breaking the silence.

"Quinn." I answered.

"Unusual," she furrowed her brow. "I haven't heard a name like yours before. My name is Aspen, daughter of Yornshir. What is your father's name?" She asked

"Uh, his name is James." I faltered, her father seemed like he held much more power and authority than mine. My step-dad was a construction worker.

"We are almost there," she said. Now that she had pointed it out, I could hear faint laughter and smell food. The ground had become more even and the trees less wild. We walked in silence, Aspen stealing the occasional glance at me.

We came to a wide gravel path, and the voices and laughter much clearer than before. Up ahead there was a large wooden gate with two men at each side. They looked much like Aspen, the same icy eyes and pale skin.

"I need to see Morkin, it's an emergency," Aspen said to the man on the left. His gaze turned in my direction.

"As you wish," he said and opened the gate, his friend on the right stepped out of our way.