Chapter XX

Stacie sat at the dinner table next to Aubrey. They were having dinner with Aubrey's parents and it was awkward, to say the least. As soon as Stacie entered, she knew that she wasn't welcome by Aubrey's father since he gave her the cold shoulder and barely spoke to the nurse. It was if she walked through the door and she was hit with a wave of discomfort but Aubrey just held her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"So, how's your job going, Aubrey?" Carol, Aubrey's mother asked.

"It's going really well," Aubrey smiled. "Beca's new album is being released next week so that's exciting."

"That's great!"

Carol was always a caring and loving person, especially to her daughter but unfortunately, Aubrey's father, John, ruled the household and had more of an effect on Aubrey over her mother. It didn't take Stacie long to figure out where Aubrey got her stringent behaviour from and lack of humour. It kind of crept the nurse out once she saw just how much of Aubrey's father was in the blonde.

"I'm so excited for your wedding. Are you excited?" Carol asked with a content smile.

"We're very excited aren't we, babe?" Aubrey turned to her fiancée and gently squeezed leg softly.

"Mmhm," Stacie nodded with a mouthful of food.

"Hmph," John huffed and it was loud enough for everyone to hear it.

Stacie gave him a little glare but Aubrey just squeezed the woman's leg again before continuing her conversation with her mother.

"We've got it all planned out and we can't wait. It's going to be the best day of our lives."

"It sure will be!" Carol beamed. "I can't wait to see you walking down the aisle in your beautiful gown... It'll be a dream come true for me."

"Mine, too." Aubrey looked at her father at the head of the table, focusing hard on his dinner. "Are you excited to walk me down the aisle, daddy?"

"That won't be happening, Aubrey," he said matter-of-factly.

"W, what do you mean?"

John stopped eating. "I will not be apart of this ceremony. I will not walk my daughter down the aisle to give her to another woman. It's not right. You're better than that."

"John!" Carol hissed. "We've talked about this!"

"I will not be quiet about this, Carol!" He snapped. "I will not see my daughter marry into... this!" John said the word with disgust and it made a tear roll down Aubrey's cheek.

"Please, daddy..." The blonde begged.

"No, Aubrey. I do not approve of this relationship and I will NEVER approve. I will NOT walk you down the aisle and I will NOT be attending your wedding."

With that, Aubrey stood and raced out of the room in tears.

"Bree!" Stacie called out after the woman but Aubrey was long gone.

Stacie got up and chased after her fianceé, fighting the urge to pick up John's dinner plate and smash it over his head.

"Did you really have to do that?" Carol probed angrily.

"I can not idly sit in silence while my daughter carries out her life like this."

"Like what, John?"

"You know what like, Carol."

"I do, but she's happy. She's never been like this with anyone before, John, and you know it. This is a completely different Aubrey - a happy Aubrey. Don't you want your daughter to be happy?"