♕twelve

The cousins were the only ones in the house at that time, it was 7pm. Haneul dropped by early to help Donghyuck prepare anything.

At first, she expected him to bomb her with questions about anything or at least something— but the boy was simply quiet, too quiet but for the first time, she failed to read his thoughts.

In the end, they found themselves seated by the sofa, watching a show that made zero sense and accompanied by silence again. Haneul was going mad for a while the fact that her cousin was being strange.

"Okay, what's up?" Haneul asked, she turned her body to look at him but the boy was focusing on the show. "I don't know, the ceiling?" Donghyuck replied. While his reply indicated that he was still the same guy but why was his behaviour so different?

Haneul rolled her eyes. "You're ignoring me for a reason I don't understand. I mean I breathed?" Haneul asked. The male simply laughed a little. "I'm not ignoring you, this show is interesting." He replied, shoving popcorns that was supposed to be for the movies into his mouth.

The girl took a glance at the television and switched it off, placing the remote behind her back. "What the— what was that for?" He asked, this time finally facing her.

"I asked you a question." Haneul said. "And I've answered it? Now please let me get back to my sho—"

"You've never watched that series and it's currently ad break!" Haneul almost shrieked. Donghyuck sank into the sofa, placing the bowl of popcorn close to his chin, sulking as if he just got scolded by an adult.

They broke eye contact and Donghyuck continued munching. "...so?" He asked, sounding sad and soft. "Hyuck, I don't understand you." Haneul started. "You wanted me to make more friends and now you're acting weird when I managed to befriend a guy who is also your trustable friend. In my defense, you were the one who recommended me to be friends with Jeno." She added.

However, the boy wasn't responding. He was pouting as if he was being scolded for real. "Do you hate it that I'm inviting them? Should I cancel it?" She asked, concerned as Donghyuck was really the best brother she could ever wish for.

The thought of hurting him harmed her as well. Of course they fought a lot but Haneul never liked it when it turn into a serious fight.

"Huh, no!" Donghyuck reacted fast. "I mean—" he shut his eyes for a while, taking a deep breath while trying to calm himself down so he can speak properly. "Fine, you're right." He sighed. "I guess I missed you?" He flashed a cheeky smile.

"Wow, how much did they pay you to say this?" Haneul asked, referring to his friends. "Dust, I really felt lonely whenever you turned down my offer to hangout and I was forced to stay with Nana and histories."

"I mean Jaemin's a cool guy but he's such a nerd when it comes to projects like that man neve—"

"You ungrateful shi—"

"Hani!" Yangyang cut him off by approaching Haneul for a hug in which she replied awkwardly with a wave. One way or another, the boy got rejected but being Yangyang, he didn't show emotions.

Jaemin had his arms crossed behind the sofa as he death glared his partner. "I did mention you were cool though." Donghyuck shrugged his shoulders as the rest of the boys came in and started filling the space in front of the television.

As Haneul saw Jeno, the two seemed to be unable to say hi to one another as they had this fear of being teased by others. In the end, they gave each other a small smile while each of them occupy a seat at each ends of the sofa.

It was minutes after the movie started when Lula started whisper/squealing to her about Renjun when the boy was clearly seated on the sofa next to theirs. Of course, his eyes were focused on the screen unlike Lula's.