♕eighteen

"Great job to those who completed their project and for those who haven't, I assume you don't need your marks."

The teacher smiled cynically before he stood in front of his desk to officially start the first lesson of the new semester. Haneul caught the teacher's look and it sent her an uneasy feeling. Their project was with Jeno, they completed it of course but it wasn't much of an effort like how they started it.

She didn't know if he sent it or not, heck, she didn't even know if he was in school. The moment she arrived, Haneul sprinted to class. She didn't want to see him at all as she didn't know how to act.

Haneul turned around and saw Donghyuck, but he wasn't looking at her and so she decided to text him asking about her project if Jeno had mentioned about it. However, his reply wasn't helping at all. He simply told her to ask him herself, something that would be impossible.

The girl was annoyed with her cousin and asking Lula wouldn't get her much anyway so she decided to do it herself. Though she feared what the outcome might be, she had to.

〚 王 〛

As she went through half of the school hours, it was finally lunchtime. Haneul stayed in her classroom for a bit while before she decided to head to the cafeteria.

Her heart was racing, she was nervous as hell. The girl stopped in front of the cafeteria, she stood behind the doors, she couldn't walk inside. She knew at the back of her head where Jeno and the rest of the boys would be seated, she knew yet she couldn't go.

Haneul didn't have the courage to. She was afraid that she might not be able to speak at all. There were so many things she wanted to tell him. So many things she wanted him to know that he was never at fault. Yet, she couldn't bear to do so, even at the thought of it.

She sighed and retreated. It was no use, she had another alternative. She could ask the teacher herself to make sure that Jeno had submit their project. It was better than facing him at least.

As Haneul turned around, she instantly collided into someone. A soft apology slipped out of her lips and as she looked up to see who it was she became numb. Frozen on her feet, eyes glued to only him.

Jeno had both of his hands on her each of her upper arm. It happened so fast from their collision, he just held her arms naturally to prevent her from falling. He didn't know they'd be stuck like this. It was as if they froze time, none of them moved and for a second, he felt glad to see her again.

Haneul was the first to look away, she forced herself to break the eye contact. She wanted to cry for some reasons but she couldn't do it in front of him. Jeno stared at her longer before finally releasing his grip on her. His hands felt empty as he did so.

"Haneul—"

He wanted to call her and ask her so many things, but he couldn't. The girl stopped him first. "I was looking for you." She said and for a while he wanted to feel happy. "H-Have you submit our project?" She asked and that was when Jeno realised something. Were they really going to pretend nothing happened during summer break?

He sighed softly, she seemed to want to forget. "Yes, I did earlier this morning." He said. Haneul was relieved, she knew Jeno would do so. One part was done, now she didn't know what to do. Should she just tell him what truly happened? But the words wouldn't come out.

"Listen, I—" Jeno cleared his throat, he wanted to ask. He needed answers, at least this way he could decide to stop the feelings he had for her or not. "Sorry, I have to go." Haneul stopped him again.

She became a coward, she didn't know why or how but she couldn't face him nor could she listen to him. The girl felt like crying and it was a very unfamiliar and suffocating feeling. She had never felt this was before and maybe she could assume it was what heartbreak feels like.

"Haneul, listen." Jeno grabbed her by the upper arms again, making her face him. He was looking right into her eyes and the girl prayed that it wasn't filled with tears. She prayed he wouldn't notice.

However, she remained quiet. The small distance between them was making it hard for her to calm down. It was supposed to be a comfortable feeling, but she couldn't tell what exactly she was experiencing. "Just, remember your promise alright?" He said and slowly released her.

They looked at each other one last time before Jeno turned around and left. Haneul remained frozen, his words repeating inside her head.

"Promise me that you'll say yes to whatever I ask you when I win the Maths Olympiad."

The competition was this Friday, she was participating as well. Him too, she just hoped she'd be eliminated so she wouldn't have to face him. That would be too awkward and too hard for her to bear, her brain might not function at all.

〚 王 〛
🐾sorry i hadn't been updating!
dream show was sending
me into an emotional breakdown :((
anyways, dont forget to vote
for nct on sma!