Chapter Two

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing that comes to mind is what happened last night. I could barely get any sleep over the embarrassing scene that kept reoccurring in my head. I still can't believe Fergie saw me naked. I can't believe I forgot to lock the bathroom door. I must've been sleepy or something because I always lock the bathroom door. I don't even want to leave my bedroom because I have to walk through the living room. Fergie crashed in the living room last night. This is going to be the worst day ever. It's not like he just opened and closed the door either. He opened it and looked at me for a few seconds before turning his head around.

The longer I wait in my bedroom, the more I have the urge to go use the bathroom. I won't be able to hold it in. I also won't be able to hide out in my bedroom all day. Maybe if I wait until he leaves, then I'll be able to breathe again. I wonder what he's thinking. Did he stay up all night because he was embarrassed? I just want to scream in frustration. A guy has never seen me naked before. Maybe I'm so embarrassed because said guy is Fergie.

"Tati!" I hear my mama yell my name.

"Ugh!" I groan, punching my bed and kicking my legs. I guess I'll have to leave this room one way or another.

I get out of the bed and walk through the living room—gladly Fergie isn't in there. However, he is in the kitchen at the table. My mama is also sitting at the table, reading the newspaper. I wonder what she wants because I don't see food anywhere. I thought she made me a plate or something. I got out of bed for nothing.

"Huh?" I stand in the archway of the kitchen. I avoid making any eye contact with Fergie.

"Can you go to McDonald's for me to get some coffee?" She asks.

"Mama." I whine. "I just got up. Why can't you do it?"

"Because I'm 'bout to start cleaning."

"Can you get some before you start cleaning?"

"Why can't you just go get some?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Man, aight." I sigh. I make the mistake of looking at Fergie.

He's already looking at me. I quickly look away.

"I'll ride with you. Devin is still knocked out." Fergie says.

"Okay." I mumble. "I'm gonna go brush my teeth and wash my face."

"Yeah, do that because you have crust around your eyes." He grimaces.

I look at him with a blank stare. He's lucky I don't even want to look at him right now. Otherwise, I would snap on him. He acts like he's an Adonis when he wakes up in the morning.

Without saying anything to him, I turn around and go into the bathroom. I make sure I lock the door this time. I don't care if it's just to get ready in the morning. I'm never leaving the door unlocked again—not after what happened last night. After I wash my face, brush my teeth, and use the bathroom, I go back into the kitchen to get the car keys from my mama. I don't have my own car. Whenever I need to go somewhere, I use either of my parent's cars. Devin doesn't let me drive his car—which I respect—because he paid for it himself. Devin will drive me around sometimes, if he is feeling generous. 

It's so silent once we get in the car.

"You can say something, you know." He chuckles.

"I don't have anything to say." I say, starting the car.

"Look, I don't want things to be weird for us." He says and I turn to look at him.

"Me either. Can you just forget what you saw? Let's act like it never happened." I nod my head.