Chapter Ten

After I finish my cup of tea, I go back outside to join the rest of the group. However, they are just about done getting everything ready for later on. They all decide to go right back into the cabin, and into the living room—which happens to be our gathering spot. I decide to sit on the couch between Tamara and Ethan; I really don't want to be near Fergie. He has my mind all over the place, and I can't stand it.

Ethan has been looking at me strange ever since I came back outside. Everyone saw me go into the house with Fergie, and I bet Ethan is wondering what happened. He's very intuitive, so he will not stop until he proves a point. Whatever his point is, I don't know, but I know he is going to get to the bottom of it. He's probably hurt that I didn't confide in him. If it's any consolidation, I can't really confide in anyone about this situation.

"Let's play truth or dare." Jessica, one of Fergie's friends, says.

"No, that whack ass game." Dev shakes his head.

"Babe, I think it'll be fun." Brittany pokes his arm.

"Fine." He sighs.

Whether Devin wants to admit it or not, he is completely head over heels in love with Brittany. She has got some hold on him and it is clearly visible. Devin goes out of his comfort zone when he's with her and tries new things. He also does a lot of things he doesn't actually want to do—example of playing truth or dare. She has helped him realize that a relationship comes with a lot of things to compromise about. And I think that's exactly how I'd like my own relationship to be—if I ever got in one.

"I'll go get the liquor!" Jake stands up and exits the living room.

"I brought some too, I'll be right back." Tamara says.

"This cannot end well." Ethan shakes his head.

"Relax bro, we're just having a little fun." Fergie waves him off.

Fergie already thinks Ethan doesn't like him; he's just making it worse for himself by waving Ethan off like his words aren't of importance. Clearly, there is a lot of tension between the two guys. It's the kind of tension that is obvious but no one says anything about it. They ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. I can practically feel the daggers Ethan is throwing at Fergie and they aren't intended towards me.

Tamara and Jake returns with the alcohol and I can tell this is going to be quite the night. Drinking isn't really my thing, but I want to let loose for tonight. There is so much stress in my life right now; I can use the alcohol to take off the edge, the heavy chip on my shoulder. Fergie and Devin grab some cups out of the kitchen and the game officially starts.

It's a regular truth or dare game: reveal who you like or do something you don't want to do. Thankfully, I haven't been asked anything personal. I feel like it's coming soon. I've been picking truth and dodging dares. I'm a punk, so I don't want to do any dare they come up. I don't want to have to go outside in the woods or some shit like that. This really isn't the place to be playing truth or dare.

It's finally my turn again and something told me to choose dare this time, but I don't. I end up choosing truth. I regret it so much.

"So, Tati, are you gonna eventually tell Fergie how you feel about him?" Tamara giggles.

She's drunk off her shit and she says very stupid things when she is drunk. Maybe everyone will overlook what she said. She is a bit air headed when she wants to be anyway. Maybe I can get out of this. However, I know I'm screwed when everyone remains quiet and just stares at me—including Fergie himself. This is so embarrassing.

If I get up and walk away, then my crush on Fergie will be obvious. If I stay here and remain quiet, then they'll know the truth. If I deny the truth, then I feel like the lie will be written all over my face. I honestly don't know what to do, so I look at the wooden floors. Maybe if I stare at the floor hard enough, a hole will appear and suck me into it.

Someone please say something.

Say anything.

I knew I shouldn't have came here.

"Okay, whose turn is next?" Dev claps his hands.

Thanks bro, you are a real one.

"Mine." Ethan states.

"Truth or dare?" Devin smirks.

"Dare."

"I dare you to kiss the prettiest girl in the room. Don't kiss Brittany, though, I'll beat your ass." Dev raises his cup and takes a drink.

We all watch as Ethan looks around the room at the three girls he is able to kiss. My eyes widen when they lock on me.

What the fuck is going on?

He turns his body and his knees dig into the side of my thigh. I don't know why my heart starts to pound quickly, but I don't like what is about to happen. I've never looked at Ethan in that way, and now I'm about to kiss him. He might think I'm the prettiest girl in the room for that reason or for another one. I don't know why I don't move away when he places his lips on mine or why I even kiss him back. Maybe it's the alcohol, maybe it's the pit of loneliness I've been feeling, or maybe it's because I have nothing else to lose.

"What the fuck." Tamara says, clearly in disbelief.

Ethan withdrawals from the kiss and refuses to look me in the eyes. He's probably thinking about how much I want to kill him right now. It'll only take a second to ring my hands around his neck.

"You just kissed my sister, now I gotta beat ya ass." Dev looks at Ethan.

"You said as along as I didn't kiss Brittany!"

"And you thought it was okay to kiss my sister?" Devin flails his arms in the air.

"I think this alcohol is getting to everybody." Jake chuckles.

"Yeah, just a little bit." Tamara nods her head.

"Okay, I think that's enough." Brittany stands up and claps her hands. "Fergie, are we still doing the bonfire later?"

"If you guys want to." He shrugs his shoulders.

His whole demeanor has changed. He seems down, like he doesn't want to be here with us anymore. He doesn't even look at Brittany while talking to her, he looks down at his fingers and absentmindedly plays with them.

This is just great.