Chapter Five

It's finally Friday, which I am eager about, because I've been waiting all week for this day. I feel like this weekend is going to bring some excitement into my life. I hate being out in the woods, but it will be a lovely escape from reality—minus the bugs and animals. Not to mention, we'll be in the house for the two days that we're staying. I can last two days out there; it's not the end of the world. I'm probably just excited to be spending time with Fergie. My heart has been fluttering ever since he personally invited me on this little trip.

Someone opens my door without knocking and I instantly know who it is before they enter my room completely. Devin never knocks on my door. He doesn't know what privacy is. Then again, no one in my family knows what privacy is. If I had a dollar for every time someone came into my room without knocking, I'd be rich. They always come in my room to bother me, too, they never want anything specifically.

"What you want?" I raise my eyebrows.

"You got some lotion? Mine ran out?" He asks.

"It's smell good lotion." I shrug my shoulders.

"Oh nah, I don't want none of that." He waves me off.

"Better go take the lotion out of mama and daddy bathroom." I laugh. "We only gone be gone for two days."

"You right." He chuckles and walks out of my room.

I finished packing my bag last night, so I wouldn't have to rush when I got home from school today. I'm the type of person that  likes to get things done, so I have extra time left over to chill. Ethan and Tamara should be here soon. Fergie arrived about fifteen minutes ago, so they'd better come before they get left. Fergie's a nice guy and all, but he has no problem leaving someone to be on time. He's always on time—if not, he's always a little early.

Speaking of Fergie, I should probably go tell him that I invited Tamara and Ethan along. I was going to tell him sooner, but I didn't know how he was going to feel about it. He invited me, not the two of my best friends. I hope he doesn't get mad when I tell him that I invited them. He said so himself that I needed to let loose and have fun. If I bring my friends along, that's just what I'll do.

I leave my bedroom to go find Fergie. He isn't in Devin's room, nor the kitchen, so I figure he's outside. I slip on some shoes that I had left by the door and make my way outside. The cool breeze from the autumn air flows past my body, causing goosebumps to arise on my bare skin. I quickly wrap my arms around myself to generate body heat.

"Hasn't your mother ever told you to wear a jacket when it's cold?" Fergie raises his eyebrows at me.

He was sitting in the passenger side of the car with the door open, messing around on his phone—until he looked up and saw me.

"I'm not gonna be out here long." I shrug my shoulders. "I just came out here to tell you something real quick."

"Tell me what?" He locks his phone and puts it in his pocket, looking up at me with curious eyes.

"Well—damn, it's cold." I start off, but am interrupted by another cool breeze.

"Come here." He chuckles.

Damn.

The authority in his voice.

It's hot as hell.

With a million thoughts racing through my head, I head over to him, nonetheless. Damn Zach Ferguson is the only guy who has ever had this affect on me. It's like I become jelly at anything he does or say to me. This cannot be healthy. I need to stay away from him because these feelings are strong. I don't want to risk him finding out about my crush on him. Maybe if he wasn't so damn fine, then I wouldn't have this problem. Then again, I guess he can't really help the way his genetics are set up.

"Here." He reaches to the backseat and pulls out a hoodie. He hands the hoodie to me and I look at him with a puzzled face expression.

"Dude, I'm about to go right back in the house." I chuckle.

"But you're out here for now. Freezing, might I add."

"I guess so." I pull the hoodie over my head.

It's a tad bit too big for me, considering Fergie is about four inches taller than me. I'm instantly warmed by the hoodie. I'm grateful he gave me this hoodie because I was freezing, although I'd never admit that to him. I hate when Fergie is right—which happens to be ninety-nine percent of the time. I wasn't kidding when I said Fergie is the perfect guy.

"Thanks." I mumble.

"Mhm." He nods his head. "So, what is it that you wanted to tell me?"

"Oh." A light bulb goes off in my head. Seems like I forgot my whole reasoning for coming out here. "Tamara and Ethan are gonna come, too."

"You invited them." He states. It's not a question; it's a statement, so I know he's kind of upset. Maybe it's the fact that I told him last minute.

"Yeah. You said I needed to stop being so uptight." I say.

"Alright, I guess they can ride with us."

"Good, because I already told them that anyway." I pat his shoulder with a smirk on my face.

"You're annoying." He jokes.

"You're ugly." I say back.

"Never ugly, boo."

We both burst out into laughter, and it's moments like this that I forget I even have a crush on Fergie. I cherish these moments because it feels natural. There isn't any pressure and I don't feel anxious. It's the kind of moment to look back on and smile because it just feels right.

"Did you finish packing?" He asks, after recovering from our laughter fit. "Oh wait, don't answer that. I know you like a book. You probably had your bag packed ahead of time."

"You know me so well." I laugh, placing my hand over my heart.

Tamara and Ethan pull up, interrupting our conversation. I don't know if I want to strangle them or thank them. I think the former option will suffice just fine. They hop out of the car and grab their bags, walking over to us.

"Hey, guys." Tamara speaks to the both of us, her eyes lingering on Fergie more.

"What's up?" Fergie nods his head.

Ethan just nods his head at the both of us. He's the grinch of the friend group. The guy has a lot to be angry about; he's been through so much in his life. We just take it day by day.

Fergie helps them put their bags in the car, while I go in the house to get my bag. I can't help but realize how Fergie's attitude has changed. He can't be that mad that I invited my friends along; they are completely harmless. Tamara's a bit annoying at times, but we need a bugger in the group to balance us all out. I can only hope that the car ride to Sumner goes smoothly.

•••

Did you guys enjoy your Christmas?