Ch 17. Teach me how to live

"You're all grown up lassy," chibs exclaimed wrapping me in a tight hug. "I'm sorry I didn't make it to the wedding." He sighed as he took the seat across from me.
"I'll always forgive you Chibs. I knew it wouldn't be an easy day for you," I gave him a warm smile as I wrapped my hands around my warm mug. He watched me so carefully. Closing his eyes tightly he smiled to himself. It had been such a long time.
"It feels like yesterday you were running around TM in pigtails. Gem running after you wagging her finger." He chuckled. "She would be so damn proud of you lassy. I hope you know that." He kissed my hand lightly before taking a large gulp of what he had in his cup. I could smell the whisky on his breath as he spoke. To see him like this without his kutte broke my heart. He was not the kind of man who should be driving a station wagon but here we were. The sons had taken so much from him and Tig. I intended to change that, but I wasn't sure how.
"She would have hated that I was married to a prospect. Especially a Mayan one," I chuckled.
"We would have given him a very hard time that's for sure." Chibs agreed. "Part of me always thought you and Juice would have been together but I guess life surprises you."
"It does." I agreed. It really does surprise you. Sometimes a little to much.